Hornresp for MacBook

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/ Go out and get yourself Snow Leopard (& max out your RAM if you haven't -- 2 or 3 GB depending on which MacBook you have))

2/ there are no emulators for Windoz that i know of

3/ VM Ware is probably the best of the virtual machines, with Parallels close behind, but Sun's Virtual Box is free for personal use. Or you could just run indoz in Boot Camp.

dave

1/ Go out and get yourself Snow Leopard (& max out your RAM if you haven't -- 2 or 3 GB depending on which MacBook you have))

2/ there are no emulators for Windoz that i know of

3/ VM Ware is probably the best of the virtual machines, with Parallels close behind, but Sun's Virtual Box is free for personal use. Or you could just run indoz in Boot Camp.

dave

Not looking to spend more money (and time) on a different OS, is Snow Leopard a requirement ?

I have 2 GB of Ram.

Have you run Hornresp on a Macbook with Sun's Virtual Box ?

I bought a PC laptop for Horn Response, PSUD, Room EQ Wizard and all the other audio freeware out there. Probably the best $$ I've ever spent on an audio tool, maybe on audio period. You can get a plenty fast enough laptop for under $100, and I'd imagine a desktop could be had nearly free. Find something with Windows installed. Most everything else you need (browser, open office, audio stuff) is free. I had no idea what I was missing.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not looking to spend more money (and time) on a different OS, is Snow Leopard a requirement ?

I have 2 GB of Ram.

Have you run Hornresp on a Macbook with Sun's Virtual Box ?

Last question 1st... i wish i could afford an Intel Mac. The old ones* keep doing the job so it is hard to justify going deeper in debt to get one. The lust is there thou.

*(I have a dual G5 tower, a dual G4 Tower (used for testing speakers). 2 G5 iMacs (one for hifi use, and another for HiFi + Skype), and a G4 PowerBook. And a G4 tower as webserver.) + some backups when one of those breaks -- anyone want a G4 tower case to build an amp into (i'm hangin' on to the dead G5 towers)

2 GB is sufficient. Snow Leopard is being given away ($30). Tiger on an Intel really limits its performance. Ignore what it says on the box about being an upgrade from Leopars. It won't care that you are running Tiger. Apple has to say that, but really it is to their advantage that everyone with an Intel is running SL.

Lastly, if i had an Intel, i'd be more interested in running MJK for modeling horns.

dave

I used to run Bootcamp with XP on a Macbook and run a plethora of different windows software without a glitch. Bootcamp is a free Apple app. The only thing is that you have to have a copy of Windows and need to reboot when switchíng between OS. I think that I might have used 4GB memory on that one.

Now I'm using Paralells and XP, and that is quite something else..........

I think you will do fine with Bootcamp and whatever you choose to use to be able to run your windows apps.

Snow Leopard only costs 30 bucks and ~40min install time...

I just upgraded my gf's old white MacBook (2.13GHz, I think) from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and she's amazed at how much snappier everything is. We didn't even bother to run a backup first. Just put the SL disk in and went for it. (The AppleStore people said that would be fine, even though she was skipping a generation, and they were right.)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Haven't tried Honresp yet, but I have Soundeasy, Arta, Protel and Autocad all running fine on my new Macbook pro with Bootcamp and XP. Oh, and Templot as well, but as that's for designing prototypical model railway pointwork for scratchbuilding I doubt it's of any interest to you fellows. ;)

Snow Leopard only costs 30 bucks and ~40min install time...

I just upgraded my gf's old white MacBook (2.13GHz, I think) from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and she's amazed at how much snappier everything is. We didn't even bother to run a backup first. Just put the SL disk in and went for it. (The AppleStore people said that would be fine, even though she was skipping a generation, and they were right.)

I'm up and running using my GF's Dell with Windows XP, it was just sitting in storage, working good once it thawed out.

As I said, didn't want to put any money into it.
Funny how you can get an old loaded PC machine for less money than software.

How did it go

If you need another idea - here's one that seems to work alright.

If you have a windows server or computer running elsewhere, you could always remote desktop to the windows PC from your mac.

Even if you kept it off the internet and it were an older PC, that could be an easier and option rather than trying to figure out a bunch of installation headaches.

Binely

As far as I know Catalina only runs 64 bit software, so also only Wine64 works. Since Hornresp is only a 32 bit application, it will not run by default anymore. I think there are some patches out there to run 32 bit wine apps again, but for now it's only manual work. It seems like they find the solutions to hacky to actually put in a release.

The most simple way I found was to use Crossover. It also used wine in the background and it is patched to run 32 bit apps again. It's not free however, but seems to work quite well. You can eval it for a few days is you want.

More info here: Catalina and the future of Wine on Mac - Page 5 - WineHQ Forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.