C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness

epa, Xoc1 and others: what are some good TH folding how-to sites/documents (other than the "Simple Tapped Horn Tutorial using Hornresp" from the AVS forum and "How to design a double folded horn" from volvotreter.de)? I'd like to use the paramenters in a hornresp file I have.

Many thanks,
Justin

30hz 18" b&c

Hi I remember seeing something about using a B&C 18" which costs $480 in the states. I think the BMS is more expensive over here. Or will this woofer give the same output as the BMS. Can you post the plans, 135 hz from 1 box and down to 30hz is very good .. 3' x 2' x 2' (slightly bigger) isnt that bad ... are you kidding me. Post some plans .. thanks in advance.

Hi I remember seeing something about using a B&C 18" which costs $480 in the states. I think the BMS is more expensive over here. Or will this woofer give the same output as the BMS. Can you post the plans, 135 hz from 1 box and down to 30hz is very good .. 3' x 2' x 2' (slightly bigger) isnt that bad ... are you kidding me. Post some plans .. thanks in advance.
135 herz wil be diffecult from 30 herz.
you wil shift more to a tqwtp ,wich wil be less efficcient.
for a th it wil be30>100 or 40> 120
B&C driver work very well (deppending on type)
324 ltr for an 18" sub is verry small.
dit you have a moddel in mind?

135db not hertz :)

epa you are far too helpful. I need a model and plans for the B&C 18SW115 or similar specs I think they have more than one. I need bigger output not 135 hz ... btw what tops do you recommend ? any diy, there's bill fitzmaurice .. I was thinking of using the omni12 .. but thats only good for over 200hz I believe. You guys have posted a lot of plans but we need a comprehensive project, like what woody did or its not useful.

Let me know what you come up with or already have.

Thanks so much,
Shiv

Do a Google on djk and PPSL, it's all there.

"If this is so, is a PPSL not far from a direct rad (vented) with less distortion? Seeing as it still requires huge power?"

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I understand the 'no free lunch' rule, but I'm having difficulty understanding this here:

"BassBox v6.0 says four of the PPSL with the Martin #1844 will be 106.4dB/W at 50hz and play 140.2dB with 2.4KW input (-3dB at 29hz)."

Is that with 2400W RMS into 1 or 4 enclosures? Because this:

"The power you enter into BassBox v6.0 does not take into consideration the boost applied by the filter, but the excursion plot does. This means that you do not have a problem with x-max unless the program shows more than 1.5x what the driver is rated at, and that the amplifier must be able to provide 6dB (on peaks) above what you enter in the program."

..led me to think each PPSL enclosure needed 2400W RMS (2 drivers @ 300W/ea = 600W + 6dB = 2400W, no?).

Please help! :eek:

Last edited:
"Is that with 2400W RMS into 1 or 4 enclosures?"

300W per driver, 4 enclosures.

In reality, there is so little 30hz in commercial program material that the boost in the Q=2 filter does not really tax the system. The two biggest shows that are done on a regular basis are college dances in the 3000 seat ballroom at the Cedar Rapids Convention Complex and the 4500 seat Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The system photos with my PPSL use a different woofer (Eminence 15711) and each dual 15 cabinet is 8Ω. The biggest amplifier we have ever used was a Crest CA9 with three cabinets per channel (2.7Ω load).

Last edited:
You may have to spell it out for me - sorry.

What I still don't understand is "the boost applied by the filter". Is this a HPF you're speaking of? A different filter I am to make? Do I need a boost at a certain frequency to get the flatter response? As a note: I have quite a bit of electronic music with energy in the 30Hz range.

I just realized in your dual 12" cab SPL plot that since it's 4 drivers which means only two cabs. That might me pretty excellent if 4 cabs were used! BUT, I don't get those drivers here tho (not to my knowledge) :scratch:

The plot on the left goes with the box on the left, correct?

hi justin.
its been a while,but the the brain has been bussy:p
i agree that using more smaller subs is the way to go.

i designes a 350 ltr cab with the eminence,and a 280 ltr cab with 2*
b&c 12 lw 801
justin%20kleiner.jpg

ill look into your design now.

hi justin
it is 4 boxxes with 2 speakers each so 8 in total
no free lunch :)
i think it was an 18 sound driver if i remember correct.
the "good" thing about this design is,because its a single fold,it doesn't loose much volume in the corners(only 2 corners), less destortion ,and simple bild.
you could try some other 12 inch wich is availeble on your side of the pond.

Last edited:
I suppose that the overall limitation would be what size events you are trying to cater for. Four of the large cabinets in a row would be impressive if your prepared to transport that volume of speakers.

197480d1290430180-15-tapped-horn-rcf-bms18n850v2-6-fold-th-2.jpg

Might you be able to shrink the size of this cab (while increasing SPL) enough to maybe hit flat-to-35Hz w/4 parallel? Would this make a significant size difference?

Also, what should I look for/what's considered 'bad' in the phase and delay graphs in Hornresp? I've got a couple models that don't look too peaky and a few that spike (yikes...I assume).

Might you be able to shrink the size of this cab (while increasing SPL) enough to maybe hit flat-to-35Hz w/4 parallel? Would this make a significant size difference?
Reducing the response from 30 to 35hz makes quite a size difference.
I attach my latest proposal for you.
It is based on the SS15 so I,m fairly confident that it should work OK
The size is very similar to a very famous 18" TH so it should be big enough:eek:
No apologies for using the Precision Devices PD1850 as this is the driver that I,m interested in using - I have no idea how cost effective they are on your side of the Atlantic!
Still within Xmax at 80V down to 31Hz so a fairly low hi-pass would be OK.
Hornresp info for 1 and 4 cabs also a PDF with more than enough info to make sawdust.:)

Attachments

• TH18  1-off 1W.jpg
    TH18 1-off 1W.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 855
  • TH18  4-off 800W.jpg
    TH18 4-off 800W.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 831
  • TH18.PDF
    60.2 KB · Views: 273
You could also use my B- Low Rider design, it gets down pretty well flat to the Low B (32 Hz) using Peavey low rider 15s, a very good inexpensive speaker. It is a 2 x 15 design, but a 21" looks like it would almost fit.[/QUOTE]

Can you send me this plan for the low rider 15s.

Thanks man

I could be wrong but I don't think the specs listed in the PDF file allow for that sub to be built from one sheet of ply? Not that I'm concerned about that I was just curious

I was careful not to call my design SS but prefixed with TH
Where DJim refers to it as SS no doubt he is referring to the actual hornpath layout that is similar to jbells SS15. The concept was to take advantage of the SS15 hornpath, that seem to have performance advantages as discussed in the SS Challenge thread, and expand the size. Shamelessly the overall dimensions are similar to the Danley TH115/118.:eek: The idea being that this should be big enough to perform well.
As such no compromises have been made to optimise for timber sheet sizes. Instead the dimensions are set for optimal performance. The mouth being almost completely square for instance.:)