C/E/X PA Flat to 30 (FT30) PA TH Awesomeness

jou mean this stuf
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I mean stuff like:

Amplimesh Security Products

Because it's rigid and self supporting, you can use any method you like to mount it.

Other grilles, such as expanded / perforated metal sheets, or "kick proof" steel mesh such as Amplimesh Clearguard or Crimsafe, need a rigid frame and clamping system.

(The above are local brand names, they likely go by different names where you live.)

You may be able to buy the mesh in sheets, or pay a security door manufacturer to make up grilles with frames to your measurements, ready to screw on. Personally, I'd take a look around building salvage yards and pick up a used security door. You should get at least 2 grilles out of it. The last one I bought cost me less than $10 US.

I mean stuff like:

Amplimesh Security Products

Because it's rigid and self supporting, you can use any method you like to mount it.

Other grilles, such as expanded / perforated metal sheets, or "kick proof" steel mesh such as Amplimesh Clearguard or Crimsafe, need a rigid frame and clamping system.

(The above are local brand names, they likely go by different names where you live.)

You may be able to buy the mesh in sheets, or pay a security door manufacturer to make up grilles with frames to your measurements, ready to screw on. Personally, I'd take a look around building salvage yards and pick up a used security door. You should get at least 2 grilles out of it. The last one I bought cost me less than $10 US.
looks good tnx:)

Been a while. How's everybody doing?

Been modeling (PPSL included) quite a few 18" (and 15") drivers of less cost that the 18M850v2...no (good) luck thus far.

Got me thinkin, would bumping up the single cab requirement from 30Hz to 35Hz reduce the size a great deal and make driver sourcing easier/less expensive? If so, I believe (like epa stated earlier) that even if a single enclosure may not reach 30Hz, 4 enclosures may.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone else model much lately?

1 of my PPSL attempts I spoke of:

Drivers (2): Eminence Kappa-Pro-15LF-2 (~$100-150USD/ea)
Input power: 600W
Enclosure volume: 225L

PPSLEMKP15LF2_600W_225L_SPL2.jpg

PPSLEMKP15LF2_600W_225L_SPL.jpg

PPSLEMKP15LF2_600W_225L_DIS.jpg

PPSLEMKP15LF2_600W_225L_IMP.jpg

PPSLEMKP15LF2_600W_225L_PHA.jpg

Last edited:
hi justin.
its been a while,but the the brain has been bussy:p
i agree that using more smaller subs is the way to go.

i designes a 350 ltr cab with the eminence,and a 280 ltr cab with 2*
b&c 12 lw 801
justin%20kleiner.jpg

ill look into your design now.

Last edited:
your design looks good 2 me,i just don't like the sound of basreflex(personal opinion)
the eminence i moddeled has a nice over 130 db from30 til120 hz 4 boxes each fed with 200 watts.
the b&c is needs the same power , 2 speakers per box but overall more output in a smaller pakkage.
food for the grey mass:D

Last edited:
Martinsoundpro.com part number #1844, under $100.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/dkleitsch/Eminence151269.gif

Note:

The power you enter into BassBox v6.0 does not take into consideration the boost applied by the filter, but the excursion plot does. This means that you do not have a problem with x-max unless the program shows more than 1.5x what the driver is rated at, and that the amplifier must be able to provide 6dB (on peaks) above what you enter in the program.

Driver Properties
Name: Kappa Pro-15LF-2
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: Eminence Speaker LLC
No. of Drivers = 2
Mounting = Standard
Wiring = Parallel
Fs = 35 Hz
Qms = 7.3
Vas = 198.8 liters
Cms = 0.191 mm/N
Mms = 108.3 g
Rms = 3.263 kg/s
Xmax = 6.7 mm
Xmech = 18 mm
P-Dia = 330.2 mm
Sd = 856.3 sq.cm
P-Vd = 0.574 liters
Qes = 0.32
Re = 6.5 ohms
Le = 1.4 mH
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 22 Tm
Pe = 600 watts
Qts = 0.307
no = 2.568 %
1-W SPL = 96.24 dB
2.83-V SPL = 97.15 dB
-----------------------------------------
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box w/ Active HP Filter
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
Vb = 6 cu.ft
Fb = 35 Hz
QL = 6.087
F3 = 34.92 Hz
Fill = minimal
No. of Vents = 1
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flush
Dv = 8 in
Lv = 11.17 in
Active 12 dB/oct. HP Filter
Fx = 35 Hz
Qx = 2

If you look at this without the filter, you will see that it takes about 1.2KW to make the drivers hit x-max around 55hz. The x-max limited output around this frequency (which is worst case for this tuning) is about 127dB for one box, or about 133dB for a stacked pair. If you buy as a dealer, Martinsoundpro.com will sell you this driver for less than $100.

Last edited:
Thank you for chiming in, djk. Your posted gif was the motivation behind my late nights fiddling with this program and various drivers (thinking the 151269 was unobtainable).

"This means that you do not have a problem with x-max unless the program shows more than 1.5x what the driver is rated at, and that the amplifier must be able to provide 6dB (on peaks) above what you enter in the program."

Thanks for this valuable info

"The x-max limited output around this frequency (which is worst case for this tuning) is about 127dB for one box, or about 133dB for a stacked pair."

Also without the filter? Or was the previous statement, "If you look at this without the filter, you will see that it takes about 1.2KW to make the drivers hit x-max around 55hz." purely to give an example?

"If you buy as a dealer, Martinsoundpro.com will sell you this driver for less than $100."

For the driver used in my plot, your plot or both?

Both designs appear very efficient (without directly comparing - I don't have my PC with me at the moment). I know yours certainly is.

Again, many, many thanks.

hi justin.
its been a while,but the the brain has been bussy:p
i agree that using more smaller subs is the way to go.

i designes a 350 ltr cab with the eminence,and a 280 ltr cab with 2*
b&c 12 lw 801
justin%20kleiner.jpg

ill look into your design now.

I believe that's an Eighteen Sound driver :)

I've got more tapped trials on my PC (not w/me at the moment). I'll post some later if I think they're worth sharing. If I remember correctly, the output is higher w/4 parallel..

Keep em comin, nonetheless!

"For the driver used in my plot, your plot or both?"

Both.

There is a new (in the last month or so) 'B' version of the #1844 that is very similar, but not identical, I have not tried it.

"Also, when I try to duplicate your image with the same specifications shown in the gif above w/BB6, I get 125.2dB @ 51.70Hz. I've begun from the beginning several times, thinking I missed something. Do you think the difference is the program version (wouldn't think a 3dB diff would result) or is there other info not shown that I'm not inputting? "

I think the difference is the filter. With the filter 'on' the level is 128.2dB, with the filter 'off' the level is 125.2dB, your 3dB difference. This is the amount of boost supplied by the filter at that frequency, so the amplifier needs to be able to supply it (at least on program material, if not RMS).

OHM has come up with a line (dual 12, 15, and 18) based on my PPSL principle. Their PUKK-218 is within an inch or so in every dimension of my original dual 15 PPSL.

http://www.ohm.co.uk/download/DATASHEET/PUKK-218%20Datasheet.pdf

I had worked up a design on the BMS 18N840v2.bb6 a while back and considered building a few, but decided against it (I have too much gear as it is).

Driver Properties
Name: 18N840v2
Type: Standard one-way driver
Company: BMS
No. of Drivers = 2
Mounting = Standard
Wiring = Parallel
Fs = 28.5 Hz
Qms = 6.66
Vas = 288 liters
Cms = 0.138 mm/N
Mms = 226.3 g
Rms = 6.084 kg/s
Xmax = 10 mm
Xmech = 19.5 mm
P-Dia = 393 mm
Sd = 1213 sq.cm
P-Vd = 1.213 liters
Qes = 0.33
Re = 5 ohms
Le = 0.87 mH
Z = 8 ohms
BL = 24.78 Tm
Pe = 1200 watts
Qts = 0.314
no = 1.948 %
1-W SPL = 95.04 dB
2.83-V SPL = 97.08 dB
Box Properties
Name:
Type: Vented Box w/ Active HP Filter
Shape: Prism, square (optimum)
Vb = 8 cu.ft
Fb = 30 Hz
QL = 5.493
F3 = 29.78 Hz
Fill = minimal
No. of Vents = 2
Vent shape = rectangle
Vent ends = one flush
Hv = 10.88 in
Wv = 5 in
Lv = 34.18 in
Active 12 dB/oct. HP Filter
Fx = 30 Hz
Qx = 2

OHM is using less port area than what BB6 recommends, but Pasi (at OHM) says that there has been no problem with vent chuffing. According to Pasi, OHM needed to build 130 PUKK subs that month (December).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pasi's comment about the seeming clone of my design:

"Obviously DJKs design. Interesting to see, that i came up with pretty similiar result without being aware of this. Great minds think alike, or how did it go :) "

I think the difference is the filter. With the filter 'on' the level is 128.2dB, with the filter 'off' the level is 125.2dB, your 3dB difference. This is the amount of boost supplied by the filter at that frequency, so the amplifier needs to be able to supply it (at least on program material, if not RMS).

OK, great! Was scratchin my head for a bit. Now, where is the on/off option? Heh.

**Edit**
After I modeled the BMS design, the 151269 design went to 128.2 @ 51.70 Hz. Wonder what I did along the way...

Last edited:
"Now, where is the on/off option? Heh. "

It's under 'Box Design', just toggle between 'Vented Box' and 'Vented Box with Active HP EQ Filter'.

PUKK-212

This might be the smallest cabinet in the PUKK range but it is still considered to be a wolf in sheeps clothing. Looking small and cute, it will surprise everyone in its proximity. Low frequency limit is down at 40Hz(-3dB) and the sound pressure level can keep up with 18" subwoofers.

PUKK-215

The middle brother sitting in between 218 and 212 gets the best parts from both cabinets. Still nice and practical, this light weight cabinet is a joy to move around but it delivers ground shaking bass down to 35 Hz (-3dB) with sound pressure comparable to common double 18" cabinets in the market.

PUKK-218

After three of these beasts might have caused a volcano eruption in Iceland when they were being tested outside for the first time there is little left to say about this monster.

Free Speaker Plans • View topic - Brand new 2x 18" from Ohm, PUKK-218

Last edited:
It's under 'Box Design', just toggle between 'Vented Box' and 'Vented Box with Active HP EQ Filter'."

Oh! Well, it certainly had been the latter. The curve changes dramatically when 'Vented Box' is selected. The FR looked identical to yours; just -3dB... Hmmm.

Very nice looking enclosures. I'd love to hear em. I just might build a PPSL very soon. Lookin for 35ish to 100Hz to keep thinks anti-gigantic and thinking I'll reach my goal of flat to 30Hz w/4 cabs. ~140dB? I'd love so.