THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn

I have been running 4 Tham 15's loaded with Dayton PA-385-8s with good success. I may have a home for those drivers and am considering switching over to Neos. Is anyone here running neo drivers with good results? The Dayton PN 395-8 has caught my eye. Thanks
The weight reduction would be nice, but with only 6.5mm Xmax on the PN 395-8 compared to 10mm for the PA-385-8 there would be a pretty big output reduction too.

There's always THIS bad boy!

Radian Audio 2216 Neo 18" Woofer - Radian 15" 2216Neo. Radian 2216 Neo low frequency wooferer - Radian 2216 Neo woofer handles 2,800 watts program. Radian 2216 Neo 15" woofers available here at US Speaker. Radian 2216 Neo woofers.

$750 gets you a 14 lb driver with 21.5mm Xmax. And 101 dB. But sheesh....

But regardless, Isn't it better, in general, to have more cone area and less overall excursion, no matter what the box design? (A discussion I TRIED to have in that other thread, before it got hijacked) And if making such small 15" horns, woudn't the goal be to use more boxes, with less power per box? (Unless physically transporting them is the problem.)

The weight reduction would be nice, but with only 6.5mm Xmax on the PN 395-8 compared to 10mm for the PA-385-8 there would be a pretty big output reduction too.

To be honest, I'd still be tempted to try them out. There was some probs with the PA385's measured specs not matching the published ones - perhaps that might not be the case for the PN 395. And of course there's the PN 395's high Xmech figure to consider...

1)Isn't it better, in general, to have more cone area and less overall excursion, no matter what the box design?
2)(And if making such small 15" horns, woudn't the goal be to use more boxes, with less power per box? (Unless physically transporting them is the problem.)
1)Better for efficiency, worse for output per cubic foot of box.
2)People build small boxes because transporting(and storing) them is a problem. The goal of most is maximum output per cubic foot of box, tempered by weight and cost.

Giving up output to save a few pounds in a sub would not meet my goals, but to each his own.

1)
People build small boxes because transporting(and storing) them is a problem. .

Most of the time, yes, but that's not a blanket statement. Many people build smallish folded horns so that they can carry more of them, and thus get the benefit of grouping the mouths. (It would be interesting to compare that to lesser but larger horns, using the same drivers.)

And of course each sub weighs less, individually. That's something that clearly doesn't bother you, but I'd like to see you get an 18" Keystone up a flight of stairs, by yourself, using a foldable hand truck.

And while most folks may not have thought about it, more cone area with a BR design theoretically means better throw, the same as having a larger mouth in a horn. (lower impedance per air molecule, for a given decibel.)
- With the added benefit of lower distortion and better efficiency.

It's just a different way to approach a problem that has no easy answers.

Well I happened to have a 15SW115-4 sitting around collecting dust and built another Tham 15 enclosure for it. Does anyone happen to have the hornresp handy and could let me know at what watts (theoretically) I need to limit my amp (for xmax not thermal)? I believe I saw once the 15tbx could hit xmax at 650 watts. The 15sw115 does have a very large xmech so I shouldn't damage anything I hope. Sometimes its nice to have a lot of boom in a small package for traveling to Airbnb's 1 sub 1 amp haha. Putting most of a bridged NU3000 (~2000 watts behringer rms) into it would be optimum travel space boom ratio.

Note: I know the driver unloads fast below 40hz and will have a 38hz 24db BW HPF.

Nominal Diameter15"Power Handling (RMS)1,700 Watts
Power Handling (max)3400 WattsImpedance4,8 ohms
Frequency Response34 to 1,500 HzSensitivity96.0 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter4.5"
Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)34 HzDC Resistance (Re)3.2 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.27 mHMechanical Q (Qms)5.8
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.23Total Q (Qts)0.22
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.7 ft.³BL Product (BL)25.5 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)212gMaximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)13.5 mm (B&C website)
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)855 cm²

Thanks,
Thane

Last edited:
here's what I get ~1200 watts

tIXh7S3.jpg

Thanks that was quick ( the B&C website says 13.5 xmax and PE says 12.5mm)! If for beer reasons I were to exceed 69 volts and xmax, I should have sufficient xmechanical (in this particular driver) that the momentum of the cone slowed by the stiffness of the suspension shouldnt cause damage correct ( I will bring my calipers haha). As Xmax is exceeded I will no longer have linear voltage/voicecoil movement and distortion will increase. Just curious of what happens when a driver in this case is pushed harder than it should be. I have those friends who are always cranking stuff up. I came out of the shower on the third story of our airbnb house to the smell of electrical fire and found my friend in the bassment with my cubo 10 mod trying to turn it into a fog machine(flavoring the voice coil). Running most of a behringer 3000 into an alpine type r 10 haha. People these days.

I want to build the Tham15 with another dimension on the outside 70x50x55cm from 15mm Plywood - could some one simulate me this with these speakers

18sound 15lw1400
18sound 15nlw960
B&C 15nw100
Faital 15xl

or what ever you like

the goal will be as deep and loud as possible

Amp is a Labklone 10000 oder 14000 wich is 2500 to 3500 watts into 4 ohm.
also the speaker is the 4 ohm version

i want to use only one sub per channel and as horntop is use a community SLS 920 so this will be a really compact PA
the SLS will be driven in 2way active mode on 10000 labklone

if i have to or more subs i will use more amp channels or go with the hoellstern 12.2 oder 20.4 Hoellstern Audio Amplifiers

Hello,
I just finished my second tham15 build and got an amp.
first time I heared it play open air and loud -> I am loving the sound, thank you a lot for sharing the layout, martinsson!
Each of them is loaded with a 15TBX100. I RMS limited at somewhat 800 Watts eachs.
LPF 48db LinkwitzR @40hz, Crossed over the same @116hz

Still not sure, if I can drive them wih more power. How exactly do I figure out exactly, how much I can drive them?

Last edited:
Not sure at finding a way that isn't potentially destructive but you're not going to get much more out of them. Considering the power you're using at the moment and power compression when you go higher, anything beyond this point isn't going to gain you much (dB's) other then the risk of loosing them prematurely.

Johan