Small footprint SUB using multiple small drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there! I'm brand new to DIY and currently reading everything I can find on the subject of Subwoofer building. I'm from Norway so I use the metric system in my posts.... :shy:

I currently own a pair of small monitors that I would like to place on a pair of tall small footprint subs.
The dimensions should be w:20*cm d:26cm hight:65cm. This should equal somwhere between 25-30l without any foam/isolation...
I want musicality and slam rather than the very deepest bass. It's perfectly OK if it rolls of around 30hz. The monitors take care of the mids, so I need drivers that can handle something like 30-150-200hz...

Right now my mind is set on a closed box with 3 x 6.5" front firing drivers, or perhaps quad 8" side firing in push-push config, 2 and 2 drivers facing away from each other. This PDF contains some inspiring designs: http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX7-sealed-pass1.pdf (Think 2x example 1 with dual SDK7)

What do you think about Tang Band W6-1139SI 6.5"? FS: 38 WAS: 11.78 Qts: 0.40 Qes: 0.47 http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1139si.htm as a driver?

So basically:
I need tips on what drivers that are suitable for such a small volume and small footprint box.
And I also need some tips on doing simulations. I've tried winISD but it won't work with Windows 7 or Ubuntu which I currently have installed. Any other programs that will do the trick?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Fredrik, Oslo

Thanks for the reply, I understand som EQ will be necessary.
But I forgot to mention that the monitors are active, and these subs will be as well. So I can EQ them digitally through a DSP. (Either a stand alone or maybe an AMP with integrated DSP)

Do you have any tips for drivers that are suitable? I'm so unsure about what too look for in the Data sheet. I read that Q should be somewhere about 0.7, but the drivers I have found that are made for use in small boxes all are like 0.3-0.6.

I have so much to learn :D

Hi there! I'm brand new to DIY and currently reading everything I can find on the subject of Subwoofer building. I'm from Norway so I use the metric system in my posts.... :shy:

I currently own a pair of small monitors that I would like to place on a pair of tall small footprint subs.
The dimensions should be w:20*cm d:26cm hight:65cm. This should equal somwhere between 25-30l without any foam/isolation...
I want musicality and slam rather than the very deepest bass. It's perfectly OK if it rolls of around 30hz. The monitors take care of the mids, so I need drivers that can handle something like 30-150-200hz...

Right now my mind is set on a closed box with 3 x 6.5" front firing drivers, or perhaps quad 8" side firing in push-push config, 2 and 2 drivers facing away from each other. This PDF contains some inspiring designs: http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX7-sealed-pass1.pdf (Think 2x example 1 with dual SDK7)

What do you think about Tang Band W6-1139SI 6.5"? FS: 38 WAS: 11.78 Qts: 0.40 Qes: 0.47 http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w6-1139si.htm as a driver?

So basically:
I need tips on what drivers that are suitable for such a small volume and small footprint box.
And I also need some tips on doing simulations. I've tried winISD but it won't work with Windows 7 or Ubuntu which I currently have installed. Any other programs that will do the trick?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Fredrik, Oslo

A while ago, I designed and built something like this (though it was a reflex) as a proof of concept (push - push double bass reflex sub with an extended bass shelf type tuning), using these drivers SOLD OUT!! Bravox WFR-06BV-04B 6-1/2" Poly Cone Shielded Sub | Parts-Express.com .. Worked well, but due to what I perceive as a lack of snake oil lubrication, no one else ever built this.

Techtalk at Parts-Express.com - View Single Post - Another buyout sub

WinISD Pro will work with Win 7

Last edited:
Hi Fredrik - The Tang Band W6-1139 divers are an excellent choice for this application. I recently(a few months back) built some secondary subs for my HT setup. In each of the small (33l) enclosures I used 2x of the Tang Band W6-1139 drivers in a ported EBS alignment. Each of the subs are driven with their own 100W amp with a internal 20Hz HP filter to control excess cone excursion. They produce about 106db each with a F3 of about 33Hz.

Subjectively they are very musical but also respond quickly(punch) and blend very well with my existing system. They are not however equivalent to what one thinks of in a typical HT sub which is supposed to shake the pictures off the wall - lol

If you want further details of this build let me know and I can post them or PM you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.