Spreadsheet for Folded Horn Layouts...

I suggest concentrating on getting the external dimensions and the panel width to match the actual build and the areas at S1 (the start of the line) and S4 (the end of the line) to match the actual build. Then use the "Optimize" feature - the intent is to get the number highlighted in red as close to zero as possible. Just keep clicking on the "Optimize" button until that happens. The result should be a layout pretty similar to what you built. Don't be too concerned with minor differences.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
The Hornresp sim figures generated in the spreadsheet are likely going to be more accurate.
Ok, another stupid question sorry - are the three par figures to transpose to hornresp L12; L23 and L34 in the spreadsheet? I must have input some incorrect panel dims as my L34 seems too high and throws the modelled response out.
1704934517812.png

Reactions: 1 user
import into Hornresp
Fixed the macro in 64 bit and happily imported! :) thanks ! The optimised model from the spreadsheet is not too far off measured, but still measuring a 180ish dip when Hornresp predicts a peak. arrgh! 🤦‍♂️😆 Should I post a graph here or over on the Tham15 thread? I have a sense that the L34 value influences that particular peak/dip in the hornresp graph - is that the length from the driver to the horn mouth? Maybe it's back for more study of hornresp fundamentals for me.

Last edited:
Should probably use the THAM thread to discuss the THAM design. I suspect that the dip where a peak was predicted has something to do with the folding near the mouth of the THAM TH. The effect of that folding won't be predicted by Hornresp. I went back and looked at the response curves for a THAM-style TH I built years ago and yes it looks like I measured a dip around that frequency too, though it wasn't deep enough to remove the peak entirely. See https://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/POC2/

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
It's not just those two workbooks that are affected. I tried a few others and I'm getting the same results. Looks like something's changed recently in Hornresp that's affected the import of the files created by the BOXPLAN scripts. I'll put a note about it in the Hornresp thread. In the interim, they are basic text files, so you can open them in Notepad and input the values into Hornresp manually.

16" wide by 1" high = 103.225cm2.
16" wide by 2" high = 206.45cm2.
16" wide by 4" high = 412.90cm2.
16" wide by 8" high = 825.80cm2.
16" wide by 9" high = 929.03cm2.
16" wide by 10" high = 1,032.26cm2.
16" wide by 12" high = 1,238.71cm2.
16"^2 = 1,651.61cm2.

Those are the CSA's I use the most with 15" drivers.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user