Single sheet TH challenge

well after building a couple old trucks with my son (47 & 53 -- 5 windows) - I built him a teardrop as a graduation present...

is that "outside world enough?"

Attachments

• camping.jpg
    camping.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 706
Most PA drivers have water treated cones and in most (if not all) cases that means you should still be worried about rain. It just means it will repel the accidental rain drop, untreated it can soak right in.

For a SS15 I would look at a driver with a Qts around 0.3 or lower, small Vas and don't worry too much about getting a large Xmax.

Hey guys, i know this thread is old
but the SS15 never gets OLD !!

I saw this drivers on parts express, they have water treated cones, so you can use then
in the outdoors with no fear of rain..
Can somebody tell what of those models fits in the SS15 ?
they start at 159.99
Thanks
Max.
lavoce 15" - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

Hi Max,

Well that's a simple question with a difficult answer...

Do they "work" depends on what you expect. ANY loudspeaker in ANY enclosure will produce "noise", so if you want some noise, just pick any. Build it and you'r good to go... The difficult part comes in when you start using it. It may be LOUD, but that could be because of high distortion which we perceive as "loud" but that will kill the driver sooner or later (and that's usually when you are at your first real gig trying to be number one. :D) It may also be killed in 5 minutes because the driver and tapped horn combination is causing high cone excursion (driver NOT matching the cabinet) ending in the voicecoil smashed against the internal magnet gap structure. It could also become a one note wonder, which is one of the worst (very loud on one frequency).

Most likely you want the best with little money spend. Golden rule here, there is a / are reason(s) for a driver to be cheap. It just crap, well stay away from there, the money you have spend will only cause you being frustrated in the end. The TS parameters could show a driver fits this SS15 perfectly well, but mechnically it will fall apart very soon is another reason for being cheap, they can't handle the mechanical stress that is put on the cone and the voicemail assembly.

The "easy way" is to use (start using) hornresp OR akabak (as examples of software to simulate how the driver will behave. A VERY quick and dirty way (i use as a start to see if this driver has any chance at all) is just compare the TS figures with a driver that works very well in this cabinet. If those parameters look kind of the same (tricky part here, but I mean very close to each other) then you may have a candidate.

You're not the first to ask this type of question and I would stimulate you to dive into the technical stuff and try to understand what is going on in the tapped horn business. I could have started hornresp and put the TS number in, run a simulation and there's your answer in the time i put in writing this but that doesn't help you..... Tomorrow you may have the same question for another driver and / or another design :mummy:

Try it yourself, do some reading. You need the hornresp data for the cabinet ( in this thread specified) to put into the software AND the TS of the driver (spec sheet of driver). The software will provide you with the answer on SPL, max power related to cone excursion and the frequency response. If that all looks OK, you're good to go.

REMEBER:
1 - Does it fit in theory
if so
2 - Will it last long enough (few years at least), so excursion within limits of driver
3 - Going the "not expensive" road, next question is, which amp. Here goes the same, cheap amp is usually a road to mayhem. At least use an amp 2x the power capability of the driver to prevent distortion and the likes.

Go for it and figure it out yourself, but use your common sense. There's almost no way to have a set of 2 SS15's with amp and crossover under 500 - 1000 euro in total (could buy a solid amp second hand for about halve the money as a better option for a new cheap piece of crap).

This thread will give you all the input.

ooh, and put a cabinet in the rain, hmmmm, do you know how to treat wood the be waterproof ...?? Don't forget here, IF you put a working driver in the rain (even if it is mounted facing down) it will suck the rain drops onto it's cone and the area close to the cone because of its constant movement, so also the mounting area (where the bolts attach it to the cabinet) should be made waterproof. It's not that easy to make a cabinet REALLY waterproof. I always stay away from that challenge.

Last one and then I'm out;
Building a tapped horn leaves you NO ROOM whatsoever to fiddle around with the construction (putting peaces of wood against each other to get a cabinet). ANY air leak, no matter how small, will (partly) kill the efficiency of the tapped horn. So precise wood cutting, screws and quality glue is the way to go. Even drilling a small hole to put the spear cable through is the start of the tapped horn not being really effective (I found that the hard way...). And don't use 20 screws on a panel that 30 cm wide, use them about 15 cm (6 inch) apart.

That was very informative !! :)

So, the SS15 was designed for the eminence 3015 and 4015
instead of using more expensive ( higher watts RMS drivers )
is bertter to do multiples of the boxes right ?

so 4 or 6, 3015 cabinets is better than 2 very high power boxes

Not to say that at high power levels the vibration makes the cabs
to "walk", wish that there was a SS15 or SS18 version with a double driver
in a PUSH PULL design to minimize the "walking" cab syndrome :D

I read in the thread that indeed Mr. Bell made an SS18 plan but it was never shown here

Speaking of processors, does the driverack PA2 have better limiters than the Driverack PA ( original ) i know that people hate the lmiters of the PA was they are not really a brickwall limiter and let spikes to pass

So , is the Behringer 2496 better ?
the driverack 260 and ashly proteas are way more expensive

What second hand processor you will recommend that have better lmiters

I believe TB46 made a conversion. Here you go.
SS15-metric.png

The SS18 is also somewhere, but I believe there where only Hornresp simulations. If you want the SS18 HR import file, i can place it here on request. But it's basically the same as the Xoc1 TH18
So the SS18 was kind of redundant.

Last edited: