Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single sheet TH challenge
Single sheet TH challenge
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2017, 10:03 PM   #2181
nikmartin is offline nikmartin
diyAudio Member

Has or would anyone run this design in HornResp with a Lab12C? Specs here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf I built a pair of $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension, but they are way too big, don't pack well, and look horrible at weddings and 'upscale' events. This design is much more visually appealing and hides well, and would pack much better.
Old 8th August 2017, 11:29 PM   #2182
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmartin View Post
Has or would anyone run this design in HornResp with a Lab12C? Specs here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf I built a pair of $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension, but they are way too big, don't pack well, and look horrible at weddings and 'upscale' events. This design is much more visually appealing and hides well, and would pack much better.
I don't think that the SS15 is a good match for the Lab 12 driver. Resonance frequency is too high.

It should be possible to do a simple TH design for the Lab12 that's a lot smaller, but it will be lower in efficiency as well. I suggest opening a new thread and asking for assistance in that regard.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:42 AM   #2183
zettairyouiki is offline zettairyouiki  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised you don't like those tapped horns. If you're having problems with the aesthetics, do you have a pole cup on the side? Laying it flat and using it instead of a tripod as a base for a top speaker tends to look very professional IMO.
Old 6th October 2017, 03:35 PM   #2184
screamersusa is offline screamersusa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I'm curious as to how those Kappalites hold up as well. I'm looking very closely at the 12" version for another project that I may start this summer.
The Kappalite 15's held up fine through 3 years of high power rock shows with name acts in 6 fury subs. Mine are still floating around colorado as 3 pairs in use by dj's. I think that as long as you use a compression plate and pay attention, they are quite robust. Only failure I has was ONE lead popped off the spadelug and I simply resoldered it and kept running it for 2 years+.
They do fade a slight bit as the heat builds but not enough that average people notice. I did use a 24db 35hz cut.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:59 AM   #2185
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Do you guys reckon that it would be good to add conecorrection like seen on this picture?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:17 PM   #2186
mikeford is offline mikeford  United States
diyAudio Member

Compression drivers use phase plugs, but this is bass where wave length is large compared to the driver and horn dimensions, plus the path is out to the left, very asymmetrical. Something might improve things, but I doubt optimal would be a reflection of the cone shape.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:26 AM   #2187
Mrscy is offline Mrscy
diyAudio Member

Hi all, I am looking the best version of the SS15. The one without the single sheet limitation.
Is there a version that performs better than this one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:14 PM   #2188
Vizi0n is offline Vizi0n  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps I'm blind, but I've been up and down this thread without finding it. Does anyone have a link to the most up to date hornresp input for this box?
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:32 PM   #2189
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
Compression drivers use phase plugs, but this is bass where wave length is large compared to the driver and horn dimensions, plus the path is out to the left, very asymmetrical. Something might improve things, but I doubt optimal would be a reflection of the cone shape.
The cone correction is added to compensate the cone volume and make build more accurate with the simulation.

To check the effect you just need to run the hornresp simulation with and without Vtc and make your conclusions.

It slightly improve upper limit frequencies and reduce cone displacement once it correct the compression ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscy View Post
Hi all, I am looking the best version of the SS15. The one without the single sheet limitation.
The one you are looking for needs to be designed for your targets and for a while it doesn't exist, people may help you if you ask.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:38 PM   #2190
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizi0n View Post
Perhaps I'm blind, but I've been up and down this thread without finding it. Does anyone have a link to the most up to date hornresp input for this box?
Left is the model I have and I think it's the must updated one.

Right is the custom version I build for my needs and to match the driver I was planning to use.

Single sheet TH challengeHide this!Advertise here!