Opinions needed on Tapped Horn drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is for home theater purposes, so the required response would be between 20 Hz and 80 - 100 Hz.

I have a bunch of drivers in my stash that could work, I'll post my horn resp sims later in the evening, but from simulations with a low frequency knee of between 20 - 25 Hz,

My DVC 4 ohm / 20 Hz / 15 mm xmax Adire shiva mk IV 12 seems to work in a negative tapered TH (T-TQWT), relatively compact at about 100 liters
http://stereointegrity.com/Files/OldAdireDrivers.pdf

My high-efficiency 8 ohm / 45 Hz FS / 3 mm Xmax PYM-1298 , ..clones of Eminence Kappa 12A seem to work in either a larger TH or more compact T-TQWT
Eminence Kappa-12A 12" Driver 8 Ohm | Parts-Express.com

I'm more interested in low freq. response than ultimate SPL, .. but I'm concerned about running out of xmax.

Any suggestions, opinions., etc .. ? As I said, I'll post sims later when I get back home.

Here's a sample sim for the shiva . Opinions on potential real - life performance and excursion control?

Attachments

• shiva t-tqwt.jpg
    shiva t-tqwt.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 480
looks good, make some sawdust.

I have a 15" Adire Tumult (34mm Xmax) just waiting for me to build a TH cab for it. I can model 'till the cows come home, or just do it and use it. And what you have looks great; go for it.

Watch 21 hertz for excursion limit and set your loudspeaker processor to hard limit the input voltage to the amp to prevent from hitting it. What's interesting with TH cabs, is excursion limit is in the passband rather than below for other types. With 2V shown as giving 97 SPL in 1/2 space, that should totally kill :)

T-TQWT v. BR

Hi zobsky,

Not trying to be contrary, but when I compare (@ 2pi/2V) this T-TQWT enclosure to a BR of same total net volume the BR seems to be the superior solution. Better frequency response, group delay, impulse response and excursion control. Not to talk about the ease of construction. So why go through the exercise?

Regards,

Attachments

• TTQWT_BR_Shiva_102L.jpg
    TTQWT_BR_Shiva_102L.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 351
Hi zobsky,

Not trying to be contrary, but when I compare (@ 2pi/2V) this T-TQWT enclosure to a BR of same total net volume the BR seems to be the superior solution. Better frequency response, group delay, impulse response and excursion control. Not to talk about the ease of construction. So why go through the exercise?

Regards,

No good reason :) Seriously though, TLs sound subjectively better to me than reflexes, and my last expt with a T-TQWT a few years back was encouraging enough, so I'd like to try this experiment again. For a number of years, I had the shiva in a 145 liter EBS tuned enclosure tuned to below 20 Hz and it was great for home theater purposes as long as the main speakers weren't super efficient. When I went hi-efficiency, I had to dismantle that experiment

Just for kicks, here's a 20 Hz TL subwoofer set up of mine from even longer ago, paired with vintage magneplanars , .. eventually ended up being even taller. Sadly had to be dismantled due to several major room suckouts in that room of the house I was living in. Shorty after that, I gave up trying to get any form of decent sound from that room.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...be-transmission-line-advice-6.html#post449907
31221d1091334265-looking-big-sonotube-transmission-line-advice-installed.jpg

Last edited:
I got fed up of pondering over the options so this afternoon, I cobbled up 90 % of an enclosure. We'll find out soon enough whether this works or not. Hornresp indicates that this design is fairly forgiving (in theory) and will work with either the PYM 1298 or the shiva 12 (and possibly the dayton 12 DVC or any other "typical" 12" DVC sub).

Strangely, the build so far only took 4 hours (a personal record of sorts). As to how it sounds, we'll find out after I brace the cabinet. I believe that T-TQWT need some stuffing in the first couple of segments.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 357
And the plan. Please note that there is a typo in the distance of driver from the end, .. it should be 230 mm , not 200 mm. Also, it's not apparant from the plans , but interior panels are 12" (305 mm) , .. and I had to rebate out a little of the sides in order to be able to get the 12" driver to fit (see previous pic)

Attachments

• shiva-ttqwt.png
    shiva-ttqwt.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 326
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.