Dayton SA240 plate Amp@ 240Volts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Can you help please?
I have just bouoght & shipped two of these plate amps to the uk, only to discover they are not 240v switchable. The shipping / customs duty etc make it prohibitive to return them.
Can i mod these to work with 240v or what would be the best alternative.
Step down converters or buy a transformer with two 120V secondaries etc?
The spec for the input power is 120v, 400watts and only coverters i can find are 200 max?
Thanks in advance
Ian

I have a transformer that has A german style plug on the cord, and two american plugs on the box, transforms from 230V to 120V, and does over half a kilowatt IIRC. Such a thing would be nearly ideal for you, but unfortunately I haven't got a clue what it costs, as I've had it for quite some time.

Your best bet might just be looking for an American living in the UK, who is moving back to USA, and is looking to sell the stuff he won't ever need again. I know that there are several American military bases in England (RAF Menwith Hill for example) - if you have one of those in your vicinity, you might have a good shot at getting a cheap second hand 240v - 120v transformer with fairly high power handling.

While I could make snide remarks about how long US and Europe has been on different mains voltages, I won't.

Pretty much any transformer rated at 400VA with two 120V primary windings will do. Just connect the windings in series, connect the ends to 240V and the amp power input between one end and the center tap. The secondaries should be left unused.
It's a classic auto-transformer setup.

If you're really cheap you might get away with connecting the two amps on either end of the transformer, but it's not something I've ever tried...

Thanks for the replies, and for not taking the p*ss too much.
I don't have any transformers with two 120V primaries.
Could I use this variable auto-transformer below, set it to 120V and connect a four way power block?
Then I could use UK IEC power cords to the amps.
I am a little unsure regarding the 50Hz and if 0.75A would be ok?
0.75A Variable Transformer - Free Delivery : Variacs : Maplin
Thanks in advance
Ian

That Variable transformer would not be suitable. 0.75A @ 120V = 90Watts
Step down 230v to 120V transformers are available - They are commonly used on construction sites where 240Vac equipment is prohibited.
Try searching on ebay for 'site transformer' You will need a fairly high power unit, as they are usually rated for intermittent use - The continuous rating is a lot lower.

There are some suitable dedicated step down transformers here:-
American 120v Voltage Convertors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.