6.5" and 8" Sony Subwoofer Drivers from Sony All in one HT Systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 8" is From a Sony Powered Subwoofer

the 6.5" is From a Sony Passive Subwoofer

the 8" is abit more Usable...since its 8 Ohms

the 6.5" is 1.5 Ohms...where can i Find an Amp thats Stable at that low of an Ohm Rating?

(BTW does anyone else think the 6.5" looks a little bit like a TB? (Left)

not planning to throw these away...nice that they have Rubber Surrounds.

Attachments

• sony Subwoofer driver 001.jpg
    sony Subwoofer driver 001.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 461
  • sony Subwoofer driver 002.jpg
    sony Subwoofer driver 002.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Sony Sub 2 001.jpg
    Sony Sub 2 001.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Sony Sub 2 002.jpg
    Sony Sub 2 002.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 216
Are you sure the 6.5 is 1.5 ohm? i.e. have you measure the resistance of the drivers? The reason i'm asking is i have an old bass reflex from a sony surround system (still have the rest of the gear as well) it says impedence 1.3 ohm on the back of the box but i found this pretty hard to believe so i measure the driver and found it to be 3.3 ohm so its probably a 4 ohm speaker.

So what made you pull these speakers out of their enclosures?

the 8" was Pulled out to upgrade the Sub with a Higher Quality Driver and Amp.

the 6.5" is for the Same Reason...
besides...spare drivers.:)

Are you sure the 6.5 is 1.5 ohm? i.e. have you measure the resistance of the drivers? The reason i'm asking is i have an old bass reflex from a sony surround system (still have the rest of the gear as well) it says impedence 1.3 ohm on the back of the box but i found this pretty hard to believe so i measure the driver and found it to be 3.3 ohm so its probably a 4 ohm speaker.

No way to test it for sure...prehaps it isnt 1.5 Ohms

do they even make amps that will handle a Speaker who's OHM Rating is that low?

Yeah i think the 6.5 is 4 ohms...but why do they list it as 1.5 Ohms?

Because someone that has managed to get it out of the box will have some knowledge of speakers etc, and then know that a 1.5ohm speaker isn't a good thing to use with a standard amp.

Still, some PA gear is rated down to 2 ohms. So is the amp7 from 41Hz.com

GM

Joined 2003
At typical HIFI/HT power requirements there's inexpensive prosound amps that's stable into a nominal 2 ohm load, so shouldn't have a problem with these, though I too seriously doubt they're < 4 ohms nominal and probably 8 ohms since few (no?) mainstream consumer receivers are rated 4 ohm. I mean they could have made special high current capability woofers/amps for their HTIB systems, but the added cost doesn't seem doable to me some of these system's low 'street' pricing.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.