Subwoofer recone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a Infinity Reference 1250W (Model #) Subwoofer, one of these.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And well, Basically this morning my brother accidentally blew it while he took my car out. It was my fault since I had a new amp and didn't lower the gain down lower than the input signal was (the amp gives out 500wrms @ 4ohm and the sub only takes 300wrms). So I took it out the box, and wanted to confirm it was blown, I used glue removing gel and carefully removed the cone and the surround and yeah, the coil was burned.

What I was wondering if it is possible to recone, or recoil the subwoofer? I mean its in perfect condition apart from the coil and don't want to throw it away (No warrenty left either). If there is no recone kit, is it possible to remove and replace the coil with one I could make myself? this subwoofer is a SVC sub. Just wondering what kind of options I have and if anyone knows what I would have to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:
At £55 each, you should probably just get a new one...

Recone kits are never cheap (usually more than 1/2 the cost of the speaker), so you're probably better getting a new one. If you wish to do it for experience, then you can probably contact the manufacturer and see how much the kits are.

At £55 each, you should probably just get a new one...

Recone kits are never cheap (usually more than 1/2 the cost of the speaker), so you're probably better getting a new one. If you wish to do it for experience, then you can probably contact the manufacturer and see how much the kits are.

I was thinking about getting a new one but since I've taken the cone off and seen the mechanics behind this thing it doesn't seem very hard to repair once I obtain the part. I'll guess I'll contact Infinity and see if they do sell repair kits.

Thanks.

FYI - a recone kit does not include a new coil or spider.

If you say that you have burned out the coil then you will also have to replace these parts as well - not cheap and not a simple task to do without factory alignment jigs. I think you are going to find that both time and money wise it will be just more efficient to purchase a replacement driver.....

Actually recone kits typically do include a new coil and spider along with a cone and dust cap. You could refoam a driver which is just a surround edge, but that's not the same thing.

I'd try to track down a kit through the Infinity service department. I know they have one - I bought a plate amp from them a few years ago. However I know they usually won't sell JBL Pro recone kits to anybody but dealers, for example, as it takes some skill to put them in (and Harman owns both JBL and Infinity, so it might be a common policy).

I highly doubt they stock drop-in recone kits for that sub. In that market, if someone blows one, they'll just go back to Best Buy and get another :) Coil diameters and lengths are often non-standard, as well.

You're right, the repair isn't very difficult (beyond making sure the coil is properly shimmed in the gap)...but it's not very practical here.

I suppose you could try to get hold of something that will go in, for the experience. Measure up the voice coil, spider etc, see what will drop in.

Be warned - you'll probably want to get another one aswell - unless the correct kit is used, results are unpredictable at best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.