Lab 12 Tapped Horn, Ron's Austin II, T-Horn, CNC Photo Background

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was shuffling between the photo booth & the Mackie Mixer doing sound :D

I suppose this post would also go into the full range as well,

Photo background - Christmas Party 2009

This is the facility. For this huge place, i think perhaps 4 of these would be better. It is good around the dance floor but too thin beyond that. Thinking about Jim Bell's 3015lf tapped horn for something like this would be suitable??

Virtual Rocklin - City of Rocklin

3horns.jpg

looking good. My inlaws live in Rocklin, but I'm by the bay. You might have a bit better coupling if you placed the sub on the floor, but looks like it would have gotten in the way of dancing. It's a shame that people close the underside of risers when they're the perfect spot for a wide horizontal array of subs. Although when you do a horizontal array you get the power alley effect and need to use progressive delay on the outer subs to control (steer) the coverage pattern.

Thanks for that. I'd saved the Hornresp data and drawings from the first post in your earlier thread, but hadn't noted the thread they came from or your moniker. I was actually looking at them the other day )as well as some single fold versions) and wondering if they might be overkill for an apartment. The DTS10 kit thread on AVS renewed the interest in building a TH. Or 4.
Cheers

A pair of 4012 tapped horns, set @ a 45 degree angle, used as the back deflector, matched up very well with the pair of 166ES-R Austins I had.
Worked especially well with everything in corners.
Hi, do you have any pics of the 4012 horns?

Also, so you find the 4012 seems to be OK when driven beyond Xmax? I think the Xmech figure is quite a bit higher tan xmax which may explain this...

Do you enjoy audible distortion?
That's the thing... Even tho the 4012 is 'only' rated for 6mm xmax, I think I'm driving mine to 10mm of xmax maybe... And it does not sound like it is distorting.

I'm only guessing 10mm due to the Displacement graph that hornresp generates, but it seems I can run higher power levels than I originally thought, but it could be the speaker cables or impedance, or something else are causing sim to differ from the real world, and I may not be exceeding xmax after all.

That said, I'm using a HPF, and I am trying to avoid over excursion when the volume is turned up...

I don't actually have any way of measuring xmax, apart from looking at the cone and trying to guess! :eek:

For me though, I use the radar technique as a key input to a limiter and don't even bother to HPF. No, I'm not crazy ;) I let the excursion be my indicator when to limit for excursion, rather than making some assumption
Nice idea, I think properly measuring excursion is the way forward with TH's, as it seems that the SPL is almost always limited by excursion as opposed to power.

I think I'm going to have to try and start measuring excursion, I like your radar setup, I did not realise radar could accurately measure something like a moving speaker cone. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.