Sub design recommendation needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've a pair of line arrays that don't extend below 120Hz. Maybe with corner placement, i can maybe get a 100Hz, but nothing much below that. I'm not into bass heavy music, and am looking for something that will allow me to cross over at say 120Hz (atleast), and extend evenly till about 30-40Hz. Another issue to take into consideration is my room which is about 12x12. I realize that its not ideal, but i've to work with what i've got.
I have a rythmik DS12 sub that works great in my living room, but for some reason i couldn't get it to work in this 12"x12" room. I tried moving it around, but still i never got it to work, so moved it back to my living room.

A friend of mine has a pair of tangband W69 that i can probably use in a push-pull or isobaric configuration in a small box... but was wondering what other possibilities are out there for me?

So to summarize, I need a subwoofer that will work within these limitations:

- Can be crossed over at around 120Hz
- Should go down to 30-40hz
- Has a small footprint
- Work in 12'x12' room
- Can keep pace with line arrays

Thanks!

..A friend of mine has a pair of tangband W69 that i can probably use in a push-pull or isobaric configuration in a small box... but was wondering what other possibilities are out there for me?

So to summarize, I need a subwoofer that will work within these limitations:

- Can be crossed over at around 120Hz
- Should go down to 30-40hz
- Has a small footprint
- Work in 12'x12' room
- Can keep pace with line arrays..

Thanks!

Hi,

Don't know if the Tangband drivers in my suggestion are the right ones but as can be seen in the submitted pictures:

This T-TQWT can be XO:ed at 120 Hz and fulfills the requirement:
'Should go down to 30-40hz' and has a small footprint less than a sq.foot.

IMO: This sub delivers very good SQ and should '..keep pace with line arrays..' as any matching SPL would be set by using the volume knob of the required sub-amp.

b

Attachments

• 1-TB-W69-1042J_T-TQWT.GIF
    1-TB-W69-1042J_T-TQWT.GIF
    79.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 2-TB-W69-1042J_T-TQWT.GIF
    2-TB-W69-1042J_T-TQWT.GIF
    27.6 KB · Views: 330
Thanks a bunch, guys!

Mike, The PE sub looks interesting, and cheap :)
bjorno, thanks for your response, those are the exact drivers that i had in mind.

W69-1042J are the drivers that i have access to locally... and was kinda on using these drivers, to see how they integrate with my arrays.

I am interested in the push-pull/isobaric configuration since they tend to be on the smaller side of things. Has any one tried these drivers in this configuration?

Size is a huge factor here, since my room is damn small, and i've a pair of arrays in there, plus my PC workstation. So i'm really looking for sth under 2cuft. The T-TQWT, though having a small footprint, is too tall.

For what it's worth, I've built a T-TQWT with the W69 and it worked nice down to 30 - 35 hz i npractice. If I build again, I'd look at increasing the terminus area (sounded just a little bit restricted)

http://zobsky.blogspot.com/2009/04/tangband-reverse-tapped-pipe.html

I think he wants something smaller, though (he has access to my drivers) . Need to brainwash him into believing that box subs are inferior :)

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Mike, The PE sub looks interesting, and cheap :)
bjorno, thanks for your response, those are the exact drivers that i had in mind.

W69-1042J are the drivers that i have access to locally... and was kinda on using these drivers, to see how they integrate with my arrays.

I am interested in the push-pull/isobaric configuration since they tend to be on the smaller side of things. Has any one tried these drivers in this configuration?

Size is a huge factor here, since my room is damn small, and i've a pair of arrays in there, plus my PC workstation. So i'm really looking for sth under 2cuft. The T-TQWT, though having a small footprint, is too tall.

..For what it's worth, I've built a T-TQWT with the W69 and it worked nice down to 30 - 35 hz i npractice. If I build again, I'd look at increasing the terminus area (sounded just a little bit restricted)..

Hi Zobsky, Look at the picture where yours and the one I suggested Cacophonix
using the same driver input power level and space angle is shown.

..I think he wants something smaller, though (he has access to my drivers) . Need to brainwash him into believing that box subs are inferior :)..

:D Agree, Box subs are not the :key:to SQ:)

b

Attachments

• Comp.GIF
    Comp.GIF
    71.3 KB · Views: 248
I have almost decided to go with 2 subwoofers instead of an isobarik design. Considering the following shape to suit my room -
The cabinet shape will be triangular (wedge shaped) so that i can push it against the wall. The vent will either be facing up or down. I'll cover the cabinets with burlap so that they can blend with the sound absorption panels i have in the corner. Will probably buy a cheap used amp to fire these up.

Should the driver be closer to the carpet floor or higher up?
Also, more importantly, has anyone tried this kind of a cabinet before?

I'm very happy with stereo Seas L26RFX/P in 50L sealed enclosures. Probably not the right choice for heavy movie soundtracks, but gives clean midbass and integrates very well in my room. Should easily work up to 120Hz and suit a music-only system if very high SPLs are not required.

-Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.