Faital 18XL1500 or BMS 18N860

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm planning on building a BR sub for PA use, I'm looking for a high SPL and low distortion.
It doesn't need to go very deep 30Hz will be sufficient.

Currently I'm looking for the best driver for the job, both faital and BMS have a high power 1500 watt driver in their catalogue:

FaitalPro 18XL1500
BMS 18N860
Both are around the same price, so that's not a dissisionpoint.

This will be powered by a crown XTI 2000 bridged 1600 watt's @ 8 ohm.

People are telling me that I'm better of using 2 lower priced units instead or even smaller diameter one's.
The point is, that I want the high amount of output, from a reletively small cabinet, saving on transportation etc.
And a BR design to keep things nice and simple.

Wich of these units would be the best? Or are there other types out there that would suit better?
Anybody have any experience with these speakers?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
jerronimo said:
Hi guys,

People are telling me that I'm better of using 2 lower priced units instead or even smaller diameter one's.

The point is, that I want the high amount of output, from a reletively small cabinet, saving on transportation etc.
And a BR design to keep things nice and simple.

Or are there other types out there that would suit better?

Sure, you could get two 18" PrecisionDevices for the cost of those
A single woofer for PA?
PrecisionDevices also have more expencive 21" and 24"
Look in UK for best prices;)

The FaitalPro 18XL1500 looks like it would be a good PA woofer for those wanting a small box.

BassBox v6.0 looks good with 3 cu ft (net) tuned to 31hz with a 50 sq in port 40 inches long.

31hz is low B on a 5-string bass, I don't see much point in trying to go lower than that.

The port could be made to be the full dimension of one side of the box and go all the way to the back, bend and continue (like an Onken enclosure).

bentport.gif

The design calls for a two-pole high-pass filter at 31hz with a Q=2, the result being high power handling and flat response to 31hz.

Here is an older double 15 design of mine with a full width port tuned to 31hz with the filter as described.

COE08-3.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.