Yamaha YST-SW60 Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

Havent been on here in ages, I was quite suprised I remembered my password heheh :D

My Yamaha YST-SW60 has recently started playing up...

When I switch it on from cold (ie first thing in the morning) it makes a strange kind of noise.. (I hesitate calling it a farting noise... its more of a crackling noise).

Anyway, after a few minutes it goes away, and is usually fine for the rest of the day...

Anyway, I've even tried putting it in a different room, connected into my ipod using different leads... and it still does it

Its being powered off my Belkin PureAV anti-surge extension, but I tried it in another room and still got the noise.

The thing that worries me most is whether the noise (which is pretty loud) could damage the driver if i keep using it like this...

Could my sub be dying, and in need of replacement? Or could there be a simpler fix?

Any suggestions or ANYTHING would be really appreciated. :D :)

-Paul :)

Sounds like it's warming up...

To see if it will damage the speaker(s), switch the amp on, watch the cone. Does it move at all?

It sounds almost like a noise I heard comming from my amp one day when I messed with the volume control. This was DC is varying amplitudes leaking through the amp (it filtered out DC only, but because it was varying in amplitude, the amp classed it as music and shoved it straight at the speakers). Needless to say, a rumble filter fixed this (8Hz) and speakers are happy.

The sub dying is a possibility, but, from experience, a speaker that has burnt out and jammed makes a buzzing sound when bass is played through, so this would appear to be more of an amp problem.

Before you test it any more, buy some cheapo speakers (>£20) and plug those in. You don't want to fry nice speakers.

It sounds to me like there's a rumble filter already installed, and the capacitor is taking it's time powering up. If there is a capacitor on the input, is replacing it an issue? If there isn't, would it be an idea to put one in?

If this doesn't work, chances are it's going to be difficult to figure out the underlying cause.

On the off chance, plug it in without the surge protector.

Chris

Hey,

Unfortunately, I can't see the cone as the grill is non-removable.

About trying different speakers etc... Its an active sub, so amp and speaker is combined... So I cant really do much with that kind of thing.

I am happy to take the whole thing apart, and I'm happy with replacing any capacitors etc, but its just finding whats what, and where the faulty part is...

I've tried it in another room with straight into the mains, without the surge protector, so thats been ruled out...

Thanks for the quick reply, and if you could tell me anything more about poking around inside it id be grateful :D

Btw, great signiture. Im 16, and I couldnt agree more - a whole life to play with speakers! Yay (Providing we avoid swine flu ;) )

-Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.