designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mulletdude said:
ohhhh man do i ever want those specs... one thing if i drive them of an amp with fullrange to get the 100 watts per sub is there any way i can x-over them without a bunch of complicated electronics or an expensive x-over?

No problem I will get you ALL the info I have w/pictures !
Yes you can , you can go passive but that draws some power and is hard to tune .
Another idea (NO MAKING FUN OF ME) but you can use a car electronic XOVER (STILL NO MAKING FUN OF ME)
You can use a wall wort to get the 12v power .
A wall wort is those square things that plug in the wall (like what they use for cordless phones and such ...
If that sounds complicated you can buy a high power passive sub xover (goes inline with the speakers) from parts express $20 ..
Please dont laugh at my idea of a car xover at home !!!!

okay 2 more questions...
1. i have a 5.1 home theatre amplifier and i have 4 subs could i put a x-over inline before it gets to the amplifier and have the amp deliver sub out to all 5 outputs then use it to power all 4 of my subs one in each corner of the room.
2. these 15 inch jbl subs are 2 different models with the specs listed above in my 2 posts... can i still use them isobarik because their xMax is different by 2.6 mm?

There is absolutely nothin' wrong with using a 12V car crossover like an Alphasonic EX-3B. Much better than trying to passively cross anything below ~200hz. Hold you head high and be proud of your ingenious use of parts not exactly intended to be used in a new creative way.

(1)
you are talking of using your 5.1 SUB out to drive your subs , CORRECT ?
The sub out is allready crossed over , usually around 100 hz .
(2)
You should use the same model subs in a isobaric , if you dont they will fight each other , one moves further so it will push the other too far , one may be more effeciant (same thing will result)
basically all you could do is build one big box and thr internall divider may be not in the center this way each box will get the proper cabinet size .
And then run one sub signal to both drivers .
BUT ..
you may find one driver will bottom out before the other .

mulletdude said:
i am considering using a professional crossover in line with the input of my amplifier if that will work.

I found a NICE little unit its a ENERGY EAC its a outboard x-over that xover was built to run their upper line subs .
It was $140 NEW .
It is a 2 way unit with adjustable points for the high amp and the sub amp ..
Plus 100% adj sub phase points (not really usefull for most folks) .

That should work fine and is the beauty way to go. This is a 5.1 receiver you are talkin' about correct? You will have to just use what ever source is feeding the crossover and not use the tuner in the receiver if it is. Mounting two different drivers Isobarik may not be a good idea as they are attempting to become one more powerful speaker and move together. One may damage the other if it has more or less xmax. Let us know how this works out as it may not have been done before.

901Fixer said:
There is absolutely nothin' wrong with using a 12V car crossover like an Alphasonic EX-3B. Much better than trying to passively cross anything below ~200hz. Hold you head high and be proud of your ingenious use of parts not exactly intended to be used in a new creative way.

Thanks for the complament !
I was laughed off a site once for such a "creative" idea .
It was a hometheatre custom install site , when someone asked "how can they help the overheating stereo equipment problems"
I mentioned just use a few computer grade boxer fans in your cabinet (they sell a $200 kit thats just that) !
I was the joke of the month there !

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
no i am talking about crossing over the input to my 5.1 amp and then using 4 of the 5 fullrange outputs that would then be crossed over to sub freq's to drive one of each of my subs...

Sorry mate but I just don't follow you there; it is easy to split the Sub output, you can run 4-6 line outs easily and use stereo or mono amps for each subby, but I don't see how you can use a single line in to drive all 4 subs with a cheap 5.1 receiver.
Better take a picture of the back of each unit or a link to the user manual.

If it has line-in/line out RCAs then there is no problem but amps are cheap on Craigs list, even on a budget power isn't usually a problem

Moondog55 said:

Sorry mate but I just don't follow you there; it is easy to split the Sub output, you can run 4-6 line outs easily and use stereo or mono amps for each subby, but I don't see how you can use a single line in to drive all 4 subs with a cheap 5.1 receiver.

If it has line-in/line out RCAs then there is no problem but amps are cheap on Craigs list, even on a budget power isn't usually a problem

Yes those cheap "y connectors" are fine I run 2 of them on my 5.1 receiver .
What I did is ...
Out of the MAIN preamp outputs for the front speakers, I split that out put to drive 4 seperate subs .

Moondog55 said:

What budget priced amps are of high enough quality you would recommend considering? I love Craigslist and eBay but don't always recognize a deal when I see one.

mulletdude said:
okay let me explain this a little more indepth i would like to use the 5.1 amplifier to drive 4 subs. i would have the input crossed over to about 100 Hz and i would use 4 of th 5.1 speaker outputs not the rca's to directly driver the subs. i dont have 4 extra amplifiers to use one for each driver.
EDIT
my budget comes to a total of about $6 canadian

BOTTOM LINE ...
You need about twice the amplifier output for subs as you have to drive the other speakers .
The internall amp probebly wont drive that .
That is why store bought subs have their own amp on them .

i do have about 8 MOSFETS from an old stereo i took apart ... the amplifier is still in one... or rather 2 pieces because there was one amp per channel but i dont know the wiring to make them work so i would have to build my own amplifier. or i do have a car audio amplifier thats 500 watts bridged mono into 4 ohms but i have no way of getting enough amperage at 12 volts to drive it very long

901Fixer said:

What budget priced amps are of high enough quality you would recommend considering? I love Craigslist and eBay but don't always recognize a deal when I see one.

the lowest price amps you can find on CL or ebay would be a PROSOUND AMP (like what bands use)
What you need to find is enough power to drive the subs , thats based on the speaker and the size of the cabinet .
But be leary as you know some companies lie a lot about what the amp can do , but if its heavy and pulls a lot from the wall it probebly has lots of power .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.