designing a sub and fullrange box for several speakers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
For an OB (Open Baffle ) just a BIG bit of plywood that is bigger than your woofer will do, although that is just for starters.
15inch woofer so I'm thinking that a 1/2 sheet of ply cut in two bits may do.
Woops is ply in the US the same size as here? 1200mm * 2400mm, that's 4 by 8 feet, so a half sheet is 4 *4 so cut that's 24 inches by 48 inches, add short side wings about 3 or 4 inches deep.
Both side should be the same driver tho if using in stereo or your front L & R

Thats around 8 cuft and you need at least 3 per so you should be ok. You really need to brace a box like that and try not to mount the drivers centered or have any equal dimensions. Where is the one mounted on the box? You could mount the other one directly behind it in a Push Push configuration and gain some SPL. Where in your room will this be located?

I'd mount the other one on the other end but you need to make an "X" brace that runs the length of the box and braces all four sides to each other. The brace should be made out of plywood with at least half of the wood removed or you can use pieces and strips. Here is a link to give you and idea of what I'm talkin' about. The brace needs to butt up to the back of the magnets so both drivers are coupled to each other thru the brace.

http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/CSS/push-push-SD12.pdf

pic 1

Attachments

• sub3.jpg
    sub3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 117
ok i have another question now... can i just put the other 15 inch sub in this enclosure i built without dicking around too much because i have very limited materials. like basically put it in the top of the box pointing up right behind the other drive. wired in parallel. so that the 2nd driver would be right where the drinking glass is in the above picture.

mulletdude said:
ok i have another question now... can i just put the other 15 inch sub in this enclosure i built without dicking around too much because i have very limited materials. like basically put it in the top of the box pointing up right behind the other drive. wired in parallel. so that the 2nd driver would be right where the drinking glass is in the above picture.

its a matter of "do you have enough cabinet volume and enough amp "

I would put it on the other end just like you have the one installed. If your amp can handle whatever load these drivers give you wired in parallel then sure. Are they both 8ohm? If so then they'll be 4ohms in parallel.
Any additional material you end up with try and make some bracing or support for the box and each driver if you can. The less the box resonates the more SPL you will have not to mention cleaner sound and no unwanted noises.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.