Horn of Slumber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been a few years since I was last here. One of the last posts I made was concerning an idea I had to fashion a horn subwoofer into a piece of furniture in order to turn the huge size from a disadvantage to a feature. After all this time I finally got around to actually building it. You can read a full account on my website.

The attached photo is of the completed subwoofer... and bed. It is very loud, and has substantial output to below 20Hz. It sounds amazing (but of course you you expect me to say that).

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 472
planet10 said:
excepting that most people don't have a bed in their listening room, that is cool... do you move often?

dave
Well, any piece of furniture will do. I remember seeing a coffee table horn somewhere, a bed just happens to offer a huge amount of volume. I might have to work on a smaller one because of course everyone wants a new subwoofer now they've heard mine.

Fortunately I don't move often. I had to assemble some of the panels in situ because it was too bulky to move, so I think it will have to be considered a permanent part of the room now.

nemonowhere said:
...What source are you listening to that has frequency output below 20hz?
I listen to a lot of electronic music, which sometimes has subsonic content e.g. I just bought The Prodigy's new album "Invaders Must Die", which has some. And my own music sometimes extends below 20Hz ("Song65" on that page has quiet a lot of inaudible sub-bass).

Mr Evil said:

I listen to a lot of electronic music, which sometimes has subsonic content e.g. I just bought The Prodigy's new album "Invaders Must Die", which has some. And my own music sometimes extends below 20Hz ("Song65" on that page has quiet a lot of inaudible sub-bass).

Are you listening on a cd player, record player, other? I can't think of a commercial source that outputs lower than 20hz (unintentional phono "rumble" doesn't count), but then again, I'm a noob. Unless you were connecting your analog synth direct to your amp.

Going to your site to check out your tracks.

Congrats on the nicely built bed!

nemonowhere said:

Are you listening on a cd player, record player, other? I can't think of a commercial source that outputs lower than 20hz (unintentional phono "rumble" doesn't count), but then again, I'm a noob. Unless you were connecting your analog synth direct to your amp.

Going to your site to check out your tracks.

Congrats on the nicely built bed!
I use my PC as the source (which is what I use to create the music too). I'm still working on getting the best sound out of it, but at the moment I'm using the on-board sound, which I just measured as being -3dB@8Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.