MKIII approval

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well I'm sure you great people who've been around are tired of me (;

I am mid way through build the BBBIB's, a lack of power tools is my main issue so those are still in progress. Meanwhile....

Christmas is around the corner and I've got my wish list. Compliments of the new step mom I have enough financial backing to feed my bass cravings.

So I've come down to the nitty gritty and I would like to know what you guys got to say.

I wanted not just bass. Anyone can make boomy, distorted , (ugly) bass. No I want smooth, solid, clean, chest pounding bass. Did I mention loud?

So I've enlisted the help of Dayton Audio to help me.
I'm set on the
Titanic MKIII in a 6.75 ft^3 cabinet @ 22 Hz Tuning powered by a Dayton 500w plate amp.

I'm not done, using 2 of Dayton's 4" Precison Ports for the best possible ports to minimize port resonance, coupled with a spiking system and some 1" cabinet insulation all around I believe I have found a winner.

I chose the 500w amp (although really 540w rms@ 4 ohms) because for one it's half the price of the 1000w amp at this time being as Xmas is coming up and I will not need more than that for what I want. I will also be using speaker gasket as too not gimp the most important seal.

As far as materials I can settle with OSB but I would like to ask the brilliant minds here as to what I should pursue. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also I'm planning on a down firing design with the 2 ports on the front face. and the dimensions are 36"*18"*18" ID

If you want them to look sound nice and look nice.
I would suggest using a veneer on top of the MDF. You could use a really nice hard wood veneer and still be as cheap as pine plywood.
MDF being about 20-25 bucks a sheet vs 30-35 for plywood. (my local and I haven't checked since gas went down)
Plus you really want to use 13 ply
plywood and not standard 9 that you find at most crap DIY chain stores. Yet another reason to use MDF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.