Velodyne ULD12 Controller Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been given a ULD12-E1 Velodyne sub with a rotted surround. I planned on replacing the surround, and had contacted Velodyne to ask about specs for the unit. An engineer contacted me, and said, "I hope you were also given the controller, as the speaker's useless without it."

Controller...? Is it some sort of outboard bandpass splitter, perhaps with a level control? I had planned on using the Sub out on my amp and setting the speaker parameters through it's DSP settings.

Any input appreciated on this--no sense rebuilding the speaker if I really need the controller... :(

I'm still using a ULD-12 that I purchased new in 1990.

The ULD-12's controller has both line and speaker level inputs with corresponding high-pass outputs, and provides level control for the sub. According to the rather sparse owner's manual, the protection circuitry in the ULD-12 will power the unit down "if there is a short or open circuit in the phono cable running between the controller and the main subwoofer cabinet."

The controller is powered via the phono cable between it and the sub, so there must be something going on in addition to passing the audio signal.

Thanks for the reply. I sent a query to Velodyne's tech support department, and received a personal phone call from one of the engineers. On Sunday. At 5:30 p.m. (Is anyone else as impressed as I was at their service...?)

I'm told that the sub was a hybrid, and yes, the box does all the things you mentioned as well as one other critical function. The box turns the amplifier in the sub on and off. I was told there's no way to activate the sub without the controller.

So unless I can find a controller, I have a very nice footstool for my rocking chair, or a dandy doorstop. :( Oh, well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.