Hornresp

Filter Wizard v.s. Series Crossovers

I am looking at series crossovers as discussed in another post in the multiway forum. As I look at the HR filter wizard I don't see any way to simulate the effects of a series crossover. Is this possible as the program now stands? If not how painful would it be to add that capability?

What I have in view...

attachment.php

Note R3 is not a real element but just added for spice to calculate the impedance seen by the amplifier.

Attachments

• 2WaySeries.png
    2WaySeries.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Is this possible as the program now stands?

The Hornresp filter wizard tool can be used to simulate either the LPF or HPF section shown in the attachment, but not both together in a full series crossover network. That's why the tool name is 'filter wizard' and not 'crossover network wizard' :).

If not how painful would it be to add that capability?

Too painful. It's not going to happen.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 196
Roughly, how many lines and man-hours/years are their presently in hornresp?

Hi Fred,

The last time I checked was in May 2010. At that time Hornresp was at Version 26.40 and had 46212 lines of Visual Basic 6 source code.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-113.html#post2180865

Since then there have been 96 formal version updates and numerous other product number changes. The current release is at Version 49.30.

With all the new features added since 2010, the number of lines of code would have at least doubled. I am guessing that there would now be more than 100K lines of code in Hornresp.

I have been working on the program in one form or another for 50 years now. I hate to think how much time in total I have spent, but we are definitely talking in terms of man-years, rather than man-hours.

And it's just a part-time hobby of mine... :).

Kind regards,

David

PS - Keep an eye out for stubs and absorber chambers in the next update :).

I may have done something which didn't make sense. I think things are fine after downloading

Hi Fred,

Hornresp is supposed to be able to handle gracefully anything that a user can throw at it. I have absolutely no idea how you managed to get negative values for Lp1 and Lp2. As far as the program is concerned, it should not be possible for this to happen :).

Hopefully your computer just had a temporary "hiccup"...

Kind regards,

David

David, I was likely born with a Darwin Award touch and ability to screw up most anything. A question: Is there a procedure to simulate a damped vent box having a series capacitor?

In the upper sim below, the filter wizard didn't seem accessible. A regular 3rd order sealed box is easy and wanted to compare the two cases to see if an aperiodic box has any use with a series cap.

2xpBuX5.png9

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

Is there a procedure to simulate a damped vent box having a series capacitor?

Sorry, no.

In the upper sim below, the filter wizard didn't seem accessible.

The Filter Wizard can be accessed from the Loudspeaker Wizard "Memory & Width" window, but only the active and parametric equaliser filter options are available.

By accessing the Filter Wizard from the main input screen rather than from the Loudspeaker Wizard it is possible to simulate the box with a capacitor in series, but with the vent undamped.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited: