Hornresp

NeoDan, I'm testing your theory. I rotated the pic to landscape on my phone and this is what happens.

Attachments

• 20180709_182706.jpg
    20180709_182706.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 150
Hi StainlessSteve,

A Par option hasn't been requested before, and for good reason - it would have no application in a practical build.

A rectangular cross-section parabolic horn is normally constructed with two tapered sides and two parallel sides. The Con option should be used in this case. A Par option would not make it easier to convert to a cutsheet, it would in fact make it a lot more difficult.

Select the Con option and set the S1 height equal to the S2 height as shown in attachment 1. The resulting side panel profiles are shown in attachments 2 and 3. The exported data will match these profiles.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    40 KB · Views: 132
I have an issue I've ran into. When modeling a ML-TL it seemed my vent velocity was much higher than I expected. To sanity check I compared the results from a ported enclosure in WinISD to the same driver/enclosure in HornResp and I'm getting very different vent velocity results. The SPL output and cone excursion is nearly identical between the two, but vent velocity is not. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong somewhere or if its an error/bug in one of the two applications. Based on my past experience I think the numbers WinISD is giving me is fairly accurate. Here are some pics showing my inputs and the difference.

Attachments

• W1.PNG
    W1.PNG
    39.9 KB · Views: 54
  • HR2.PNG
    HR2.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 65
  • HR1.PNG
    HR1.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 70
In hornresp change Ang to "2.0 x Pi" and Eg to "34.64" and simulate

Changing the "Ang" doesn't seem to make a difference. If I change the Eg to 34.64 then the port velocity in HornResp is very close to WinISD, however I'm trying to simulate 1200 watts of input power at 4 ohms, not 300 watts. I have 69.3 volts entered into WinISD to get 1200 watts. Why is there a 4x difference in HornResp?

I have an issue I've ran into. When modeling a ML-TL it seemed my vent velocity was much higher than I expected. To sanity check I compared the results from a ported enclosure in WinISD to the same driver/enclosure in HornResp and I'm getting very different vent velocity results. The SPL output and cone excursion is nearly identical between the two, but vent velocity is not. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong somewhere or if its an error/bug in one of the two applications. Based on my past experience I think the numbers WinISD is giving me is fairly accurate. Here are some pics showing my inputs and the difference.

Hi thejessman,

I suspect that WinISD is showing the rms value rather than the peak value, which would explain part of the difference. The other part is likely to be due a problem identified with the WinISD model some time ago - see post linked below.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/311268-discrepancy-winisd-hornresponse-2.html#post5169553

I am pretty confident that the Hornresp peak particle velocity calculations are correct :).

Kind regards,

David

Just to clarify - Chris says in his article that with AkAbak, "there's no limit to the number of parts of the cabinet". The maximum number of network nodes is actually 56. More than enough for most designs, however :).

I've never used AkAbak.I'm just being patient and waiting for you to add that 5th segment to the TH function..:wchair: Don't let me hit the lotto :$::$::$:

Hi thejessman,

I suspect that WinISD is showing the rms value rather than the peak value, which would explain part of the difference. The other part is likely to be due a problem identified with the WinISD model some time ago - see post linked below.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/311268-discrepancy-winisd-hornresponse-2.html#post5169553

I am pretty confident that the Hornresp peak particle velocity calculations are correct :).

Kind regards,

David

Thanks a lot for responding to my issue. I get what you are saying in regard to the graphs showing RMS vs Peak values and that's something I've wondered about in the past when it comes to WinISD. Unfortunately I've made a lot of design decisions in the past based on what WinISD has reported for port velocity and now I have doubt as to whether I made the right choices or not!!

I think the thing for me to do is to get a hot wire anemometer since they aren't real expensive now, and measure for myself so that I can compare it to simulation. I've been wanting to do this for some time anyway. I'll report back here with what I find.

WinISD - RMS vs Peak values

From their Help File in a previous version, as the latest version hasn't got one yet !

Air velocity - front/rear port

Air velocity graph shows how fast air mass travels in port. In order to keep chuffing noise low, you

should limit the peak velocity at 5% of velocity of sound, or about 17 m/s. Like the cone excursion

graph, the desired powerlevel is set also by same watts setting. Note that if air velocity peaks

exceeds previously mentioned level. This graph can also be configured to show RMS, peak or

peak-to-peak value. See the cone excursion graph explanation for RMS, peak and peak-to-peak values.

I've uploaded it as people are often asking for info, that they can find in there ;)You need to right click on it & change the zip to chm as the forum doesn't upload chm help files ;)

For some unknown reason, since i got a new comp with Win8.1 the options in the latest version look funky :( It was fine on XP :)

Attachments

• Odd.png
    Odd.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 158
  • winisd - Help.zip
    483.8 KB · Views: 35
From their Help File in a previous version, as the latest version hasn't got one yet !

I've uploaded it as people are often asking for info, that they can find in there ;)You need to right click on it & change the zip to chm as the forum doesn't upload chm help files ;)

For some unknown reason, since i got a new comp with Win8.1 the options in the latest version look funky :( It was fine on XP :)

Thanks for the info!

From what you said I checked and it looks like WinISD was set to show the peak port velocity.

I've already ordered a hot-wire anemometer, I guess I'll see what results I get when it gets here.

NeoDan, I'm testing your theory. I rotated the pic to landscape on my phone and this is what happens.

:wave: I have no idea what your phone will allow after the photo is taken, I was referring to when you are taking photos. The key is to pay attention and learn to control the camera orientation, you should have a little orientation indicator as pictured below.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 136
When I try to open/load some of my .dat files I got that "run-time error '13': type mismatch".

Hi Florent,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Could you please post a copy of one of the .dat files that generates the error, so that I can investigate. To post the .dat file as an attachment, either place it in a zip file, or change the extension from .dat to .txt. Thanks.

Kind regards,

David

From what you said I checked and it looks like WinISD was set to show the peak port velocity.

That's not part of the reason for the discrepancy then, it seems :).

I've already ordered a hot-wire anemometer, I guess I'll see what results I get when it gets here.

Please let us know what you find.

The reason I am pretty confident that the Hornresp peak particle velocity calculations are correct is because the results are the same as those produced by AkAbak :).

Hi Zero D,

I think the clue is in the Help File statement: "Air velocity graph shows how fast air mass travels in port." In the system 'thejessman' is looking at, the air in the relatively long port tube is not moving as a simple acoustic mass. WinISD is being asked to analyse what is in effect a cylindrical horn, something it was never designed to do.

Kind regards,

David