Hornresp

Im not sure where to find or calculate the Rms field, mechanical resistance.
Could someone explain how to calculate it?
Also is there a table somewhere that lists the different names that some parameters are named. I vaguely remember that there were at least two parameters that different manufacturers use different names for.
Cheers

Thiele/Small parameters - Wikipedia

Im not sure where to find or calculate the Rms field, mechanical resistance.
Could someone explain how to calculate it?

Hornresp will calculate it for you. Double click the Rms input box and a wizard will help you, allowing you to enter Fa and Qms instead of Rms and Hornresp will sort out the rest.

Most of the input boxes have wizards to help you and there's always handy info about the input box at the bottom of the Hornresp window if you hover your mouse over the box.

Double click the Rms input box and a wizard will help you

Alternatively, double-click on the Sd input box in Edit mode to enter all the driver parameters in the one operation, using Thiele-Small values.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 292
Hi freddi,

can't remember how to invoke the "ABC" cabinet function

In edit mode, with the Ctrl key pressed, double-click on the Nd label to step through the ME1, ME2, BP6, BP8, ABC driver arrangement options. Alternatively, select the Tools > Driver Arrangement menu and choose Aperiodic Bi-Chamber ABC from the drop down Arrangement list.

It's all in the Hornresp Help file - simply use the File > Find menu (in the Help file) to search for ABC.

also could not get a 2nd order active highpass with Q = 2 to work

Many thanks for this feedback. The second and fourth order active filters appear to be working okay in the filter tool charts themselves, but not in the main charts. I will investigate.

Kind regards,

David

In edit mode, with the Ctrl key pressed, double-click on the Nd label to step through the ME1, ME2, BP6, BP8, ABC driver arrangement options. Alternatively, select the Tools > Driver Arrangement menu and choose Aperiodic Bi-Chamber ABC from the drop down Arrangement list.

I should have also mentioned that another way to specify an ABC system is simply to create a new record using the Input Wizard tool, located under the Help menu.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 219
Feature requests...

1. Change the frequency graph horizontal scale options to 10-20KHz, 10-2KHz, and 1-200Hz. The 1-2kHz option IMO isn't all that useful for analyzing bass horns.

2. In Loudspeaker Wizard, allow the user to change the horizontal axis on the frequency response graph by double-clicking on or below the horizontal axis.

3. Include "cone volume" as one of the storable driver parameters, and add it to Vtc in Hornresp's calculations. This will allow various drivers to be swapped in to a particular horn alignment without having to adjust Vtc every time to reflect the change in cone volume.

Hi Brian,

1. Change the frequency graph horizontal scale options to 10-20KHz, 10-2KHz, and 1-200Hz. The 1-2kHz option IMO isn't all that useful for analyzing bass horns.

Changing the existing 1 - 2000 Hz and 10 - 20000 Hz frequency range options to those requested would be a massive exercise. It has implications all across the program. It's not going to happen.

2. In Loudspeaker Wizard, allow the user to change the horizontal axis on the frequency response graph by double-clicking on or below the horizontal axis.

Similarly, changing the frequency range from within the Loudspeaker Wizard would cause all sorts of problems, particularly when trying to compare results generated using different scales. It is difficult enough now. It's not going to happen.

3. Include "cone volume" as one of the storable driver parameters, and add it to Vtc in Hornresp's calculations. This will allow various drivers to be swapped in to a particular horn alignment without having to adjust Vtc every time to reflect the change in cone volume.

Sorry, this one misses out also. You are just going to have to learn to live with adjusting Vtc manually :).

If you are saving drivers to the driver database you could perhaps include the cone volume in the driver description, for ready reference.

Kind regards,

David

Hi,

I would like to use Hornresp in a scripted mode (i.e. start via command line, provide command line arguments (input file, output file, desired output)) together with Matlab.

Would it be possible for you to implement this feature, please?
Thank you!

The best you can probably hope for with this is to use Akabak instead of Hornresp (or use the Export to Akabak feature in Hornresp). Akabak uses a script anyway, so all you need to do is write a script (small program) to change the Akabak script into something that Matlab will accept as an input. Or vice versa if you are using Matlab for calculations and importing a Matlab script into Hornresp.

Hornresp Update 4240-171111

Hi Everyone,

BUG FIX

When simulating a direct radiator in a closed-box enclosure with the 'resonances not masked' option selected, the fundamental resonance frequency marker line in the Loudspeaker Wizard was not being shown in the correct position (see Attachment 1).

This has now been fixed (see Attachment 2).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 242