Hornresp

Hi Chucky,

So far so good - what happens though, when you calculate the results for default record number 1, and then select Tools > Impulse > Spectrogram from the SPL Response window? Do you get a fatal error, by any chance? The correct result should look like the attachment below.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Yes I do get a fatal error - subscript out of range, runtime error 9

This happens on all calculations with impulse spectrogram.

Best regards,

Chucky

Yes I do get a fatal error - subscript out of range, runtime error 9
This happens on all calculations with impulse spectrogram.

Hi Chucky,

Many thanks - that is excellent news :).

Based on your very valuable feedback I think I may have finally worked out why some users can have problems with Hornresp, while others do not - it is something that has had me puzzled for quite some time.

I have started modifying the program to overcome the problem. I will let you know when the update is released, but in the meantime if you would like Hornresp to operate as intended, it will be necessary for you to change your display DPI setting from Large size to Normal size.

To change the display DPI setting:

1. Open the Display applet by double-clicking on the Display icon in the Windows Control Panel
2. Select Settings > Advanced > DPI setting: > Normal size (96 dpi)
3. Apply and save the system settings change

If you now find that everything appears to be too small, you might wish to reduce your screen resolution accordingly - for example, change from 1920 x 1080 pixels to 1280 x 720 pixels.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
I have updated HornespMerge to also accept the latest hornresp record format. It can be found at my (new) homepage. Latest version is 1.6. The program can partly convert between versions, but the conversion is mainly to make the record readable for a particlular version of Hornresp, not necessarily to accurately convert the record data.

As always, please report any bugs.

Regards,
Bjørn

Ok request is a coming.

The LeCleach options are great. I have been playing with them ever since you changed things around.

I have noticed that there are curve options for exponential horns in the wizard now. Nice!

So for the big ask.

LeCleach????

I realize that the T factor is not an easy input. BUt you already do a secondary screen for the rear chamber in normal horns and the tapped horns and the 4 section horns.

Really trying to sell this one....

Cuz if it was as easy to play around with the LeCleach horn's as it is with the other styles. LeCleach profile rules the roost in some applications.

Humble requested and poorly sold by:

Hi Mark,

LeCleach????

Of necessity, the Loudspeaker Wizard is restricted to working with plane wavefront models. Calculation times associated with generating isophase model results are just too great for the tool to update correctly - the sliders simply "freeze". Le Cléac'h horns are analysed using an isophase model, which is why the Wizard cannot be applied to this horn type.

I have noticed that there are curve options for exponential horns in the wizard now.

The Wizard can be used with multiple-segment exponential horns but not with single-segment ones. This is because multiple-segment horns are analysed using plane wavefront models, whereas single-segment exponential horns are analysed using either a plane wavefront model or an isophase wavefront model, depending upon the horn mouth size.

Kind regards,

David

Ok I buy the not working in real time.

My long in the tooth computer will spit out a LeCleach calculation in about 3 seconds.

I for one would be willing to have a pause between movements on a slider.

As with all horns a balance on the physical parameters is what makes them great.

I keep plugging in new numbers in the main input screen and waiting for the calculations.

I'm a patient dude. I was programing old Z80 microprocessors back when I had hair in Turbo Pascal. Things were a lot slower back then. We just lived with it.

Just demonstrating that one, I wish it could happen. And two, if it is slow and it still will function I for one humble think it will be a worthwhile addition to the program.

I'm getting tons of use out of the particle velocity numbers and I am almost ready to play and post some real life test results with a fancy anemometer.

Hi Mark,

I for one would be willing to have a pause between movements on a slider.

When I said that the sliders "freeze", I really meant it :). Hornresp becomes completely unresponsive - the only way forward is to forcibly close the program using the Ctrl+Break keys, and then to start again.

I'm getting tons of use out of the particle velocity numbers and I am almost ready to play and post some real life test results with a fancy anemometer.

Pleased to hear that the particle velocity chart is proving to be of some value :).

Kind regards,

David

Maybe you could have it calculate at mouse up event (when letting go of slider) and abort at mouse down (if calculating) when using isophase.

Could F5 toggle back to input screen when pressed in a graph view?
That would be a fairly good and fast way to calculate and revise.
Especially if the last used input field is marked when returning.
Then you could type, press F5 to check, press F5 again, and type a new number.
Not too inefficient.

If you type in the number you want and don't press enter, just F5, the cursor stays in the same box. Then you can press Esc to come back to the input window. However, you can't start typing a new value before you have deleted the old one.

Perhaps this could be changed, so that in the case you have typed a number and then just F5, and then get back to the input window, the text in the box is selected, so the old value disappears as soon as you start typing? Then the sequence could be

-type value
-F5 to calculate
-Esc to get back
-type new value
-repeat...

regards,
Bjørn

Hi David_Web,

Maybe you could have it calculate at mouse up event (when letting go of slider) and abort at mouse down (if calculating) when using isophase.

Unfortunately with Microsoft Visual Basic 6, MouseDown and MouseUp events do not apply to either horizontal or vertical scroll bar objects.

Could F5 toggle back to input screen when pressed in a graph view?
That would be a fairly good and fast way to calculate and revise.
Especially if the last used input field is marked when returning.
Then you could type, press F5 to check, press F5 again, and type a new number.

When in Edit mode, if you click the Calculate button rather than press the F5 key to calculate results, the Esc key can then be pressed to return to the main input screen with the last input field highlighted. I will have a look at how difficult it would be to change the functionality of the F5 key so that it works the same as for the Calculate button (as suggested by Bjørn), and possibly also to allow either the F5 key or the Esc key to be used to return to the main input screen (as suggested by you).

Thanks for your input - it is appreciated.

Kind regards,

David

Please be assured that I cannot express my gratitude enough for your very generous hard work. Most of what I design would be an order of magnitude more difficult if I had to use anything else.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words - positive feedback such as this is what keeps me going :).

It is very nice indeed to know that Hornresp is appreciated and valued by users.

Kind regards,

David

Very much so. In fact, this is quite old, but even before the PAR function was available, Hornresp was quite accurate:

Sim vs real world:

insubnia%252520hornresp%252520vs%252520measured%252520outdoor%2525202v.jpg

One question:

Would it be possible to extend the graphs down to 5Hz on the display screen?

JSS

Would it be possible to extend the graphs down to 5Hz on the display screen?

Hi maxmercy,

Thanks for the feedback on Hornresp accuracy.

Extending the chart frequency range down to 5 hertz would complicate things greatly :).

Frequencies below 10 hertz can of course be individually sampled, and the results manually added to the exported chart data for plotting in Excel or similar, if so desired.

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update

Hi Everyone,

Hornresp Version 28.90 has just been released. Changes are:

1. The F5 function key now operates as proposed in Post # 2475:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-248.html#post2821342

Sequence:

- Type value
- Press F5 to calculate
- Press F4 to compare with previous result (optional)
- Press F5 to return to input window
- Type new value
- Repeat...

2. The Help file is presented differently, and the contents can now be exported to a text file. The inclusion of the export option was prompted in part by the PDF file request from Zero D in Post # 2364:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-237.html#post2763059

To navigate through the Help file use either the vertical scroll bar provided, or the UpArrow, DownArrow, PageUp, PageDown, Home and End keys.

Kind regards,

David