Hornresp

Correct, it only affects the > 500 Hz BW up where at least with the 416 the driver is starting to break-up. I hadn't thought about it, but with the AE's larger Sd, ergo increased Vtc which I didn't [re]calculate, it should start a little lower, but not enough to matter with a 500 Hz XO.

At a glance, for expo the AE wants a ~80 Hz horn for a ~flat response out to 500 Hz.........

GM

Attachments

• aetd15xe.txt
    404 bytes · Views: 86
Thanks much GM. In inputing this data, I am thinking that these are NOT cut down A7 cabs.

S1 at 574, and I measured these at 774 sq cm
S2 at 7356 and I measured these at 3458 sq cm
Hyp at 87.29 and I measured these at 35.60 cm

I also can't figure out how to change from con or exp to hyp.

I also can't figure out how to change from con or exp to hyp.

While in the exp field, you can press 'h' for hyp, 't' for tractrix etc. This only works in the first segment, though, as multiple segments can only be used with conical/exponential/parabolic segments.

When you have a tractric horn, you can't access the lenght field, so then you just double click on the 'Tra' text label to get back to exp/con/par.

It is described at page 3 in the help file. The help file describes all features of Hornresp and is actually very helpful.

Bjørn

You're welcome!

Yeah, if the throat [not the driver cutout] isn't 8" x 16" with a 14" axial length to the front of the baffle, it's not an 825/828 horn. Don't know what the dims are for JBL's, etc. similar design cabs.

Regardless, you now know how to input, 'juggle' a stub horn design to suit.

You can either double click on L12 to scroll through the choices or type in 'e', 'h', etc. when the field is highlighted per page 3 of the HELP file.

GM

Thanks GM and Bjorn. I am starting to feel comfortable with this now.

I did find a set of Altec 828 plans and mine are the same dimentions as the 828. Maybe I am doing the maths incorrectly.

Yep, I was calculating incorrectly. So all is well. What this all tells me is that for what I am looking for (a bass horn from 100hz to 500hz) this will work well. Might have to do some phutzing around with the back volume, placement, EQ and the like, but it should work well.

Here is the Polar Map for the short Altec horn. I never really looked at Polar Maps so I took some time this morning to figure it out. So, is this map saying that if I am on the 0 axis, the responce will be strongest from 150hz to 450hz? Then 3db down from that from 100hz to 600hz? I want to use these horns from 100hz to 500hz or so and they will be pointing right at me in my listening chair. So these look like a good fit....right?

Attachments

• Polar map for TD15X peg.JPG
    Polar map for TD15X peg.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 207
Hey,

Someone asked about radial horns in Hornresp a while ago.

Made this simple spreadsheet. You have to do the design in Hornresp and from there import the length and area data to column B&C. You also have to choose your angle(G2). To make it work you also have to start the radial portion of the horn at the point where the height equals the straight-cut width. After that, back to the throat, a square to round adapter must be made. The example is for a full, 2", 180Hz Tractrix horn.

http://www.revintage.se/paul.xls

Last edited:
When exporting I want smaller increments than seems possible. Is it any way to get past this?

Hi Lars,

The reason for the increment minimum was to limit to approximately 100 the maximum number of elements that could be specified for any horn segment. This constraint has now been relaxed so that the maximum allowable number of elements for any segment becomes approximately 1000. This should fix your problem :).

The new Hornresp release is Product Number 2840-110609.

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

Kind regards,

David

Hello, I tried modelling a Dynaudio D54 driver in a Edgar 500 Hz tractrix horn and I got a very nonlinear response. I read the Speakerbuilder article by him about midrange horns, and where he talks about how drivers become suspension dominated above a certain frequency, I began to wonder if Hornresp takes this into consideration. Does this program give accurate results when the mass roll off frequency calculation no longer applies. I admit I dont know much about how midrange drivers function.

Here is the Polar Map for the short Altec horn. I never really looked at Polar Maps so I took some time this morning to figure it out. So, is this map saying that if I am on the 0 axis, the responce will be strongest from 150hz to 450hz? Then 3db down from that from 100hz to 600hz? I want to use these horns from 100hz to 500hz or so and they will be pointing right at me in my listening chair. So these look like a good fit....right?

If you get a newer version of hornresp, there will be an option to normalize the polar plot. That will let you look at just the pattern. It's what the pattern would be if you eq'd the response flat (which is what it should be in the frequency range that you're using the horn in). This makes it easier to match up to other speakers.

I tried modelling a Dynaudio D54 driver in a Edgar 500 Hz tractrix horn and I got a very nonlinear response. I read the Speakerbuilder article by him about midrange horns, and where he talks about how drivers become suspension dominated above a certain frequency, I began to wonder if Hornresp takes this into consideration. Does this program give accurate results when the mass roll off frequency calculation no longer applies. I admit I dont know much about how midrange drivers function.

Hi dirkwright,

Suspension compliance and resistance are taken into account by the Hornresp model.

The driver diaphragm is assumed to be a rigid plane piston - a Dynaudio D54 driver has a soft dome diaphragm.

The default SPL response shows the power response - the Directivity tool can be used to obtain the pressure response.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi dirkwright,

Suspension compliance and resistance are taken into account by the Hornresp model.

The driver diaphragm is assumed to be a rigid plane piston - a Dynaudio D54 driver has a soft dome diaphragm.

The default SPL response shows the power response - the Directivity tool can be used to obtain the pressure response.

Kind regards,

David

So, I guess it's not really possible to model this particular driver? I also don't have some of the data on the driver. I guess the best I can do is get TrueRTA to measure the response. Thanks.

Hey Dirkwright,
All data needed for simulations in Hornresp is in the original datasheet. Did some simulations with different hornmodels and they looked acceptable/useful. I also tried some compression and it looked even better.

How the driver/horn behaves at higher frequencies is already known so concenterate on the behaviour at lower frequencies. If you want the horn to be useful from 500Hz you should go for something like 300-3500Hz Fc.

Do you really think the sensitivity is good enough?