Hornresp

This is a SUBwoofer thread.
The thread is about Hornresp, which is capable of simulating a lot more then just subwoofers.

For some reason it's placed in the subcategory subwoofers, which is rather confusing. (always has been)
Especially because there has been plenty of other designs been discussed here that are not subwoofer related.

So you can't blame people for using other examples or being confused what type of system is being talked about.

Pmax is usually determined by AES standards with a much broader band noise.
Which unfortunately leads a bit to a chicken-egg discussion in what to expect when a driver is being used <100Hz

That being said, it's wise to let the cone excursion to be the limit of the entire system.
Otherwise you'll leave unused potential on the the table.
On the other hand, if someone has to make-do with what they have, it's what it is.

Btw, a driver will most definitely not always get damaged or even destruct if you go over these limits.

These limits are just "linear limits" (that's even open for debate), but most definitely not maximum mechanical limits.
So PA speakers have a Xlimited that is 2 or 3 times bigger and can handle powers that is 2x/3x times more for short periods of time.

Reactions: 1 users
The recommended enclosure SHOULD have an ALL BLACK line in this graph to prevent driver destruction.

I don't see why. Also, how would that be possible if the recommended enclosure is vented? There is no standard that specifies how "manufacturer's recommended enclosures" should be designed, and even if it was, I doubt it would include such a requirement.

Speaking from the experience of having worked for a driver manufacturer, "recommended enclosures" are examples, and mainly designed to give a satisfactory frequency response. Basically an aid for people who just want to buy a driver and stick it in an enclosure to get a working speaker without having to know much about speaker design. It is not typically a design a driver manufacturer would spend lot of time fine-tuning, especially since they don't know the application. It is definitely not the ultimate speaker enclosure for that driver, although the term "recommended enclosure" may lead people to believe that.

What does the response look like if you change the enclosure to satisfy your requirement?

Reactions: 1 users
For some reason it's placed in the subcategory subwoofers, which is rather confusing. (always has been)
Especially because there has been plenty of other designs been discussed here that are not subwoofer related.

From the beginning I wanted the Hornresp support thread to be in one of the Loudspeaker forums, rather than in the Software Tools forum.

Loudspeaker forums:
  • Multi-Way
  • Full Range
  • Subwoofers
  • Planars & Exotics
The Multi-Way forum was discounted because at the time Hornresp could not model multiple entry horn loudspeakers.

The Full Range forum was discounted because Hornresp models the driver diaphragm as a plane circular piston, and therefore cannot accurately simulate a full range loudspeaker.

The Planars & Exotics forum was discounted because Hornresp cannot model such loudspeakers.

This left the Subwoofers forum, which seemed quite appropriate at the time given that Hornresp was originally developed to model bass horn loudspeakers, and because the first message posted to the thread happened to relate to tapped horns.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see why. Also, how would that be possible if the recommended enclosure is vented?

What does the response look like if you change the enclosure to satisfy your requirement?
Part Express does provide a recommended vented enclosure.

When I start modeling a driver. I check out how small of a Sealed enclosure the driver can use before I jump to BP4's.

I'm still not understanding Parts Express' recommendation when the driver has a 350wrms rating and 6.8mm Xmax. Excursion at 350wrms is 10.66mm in a 3.75ft3 Sealed enclosure. Those numbers are not logical and seem like a poor recommendation.

Sealed and vented enclosures are not my thing. Low distortion and effortless bass is. I only HEAR those 2 requirements with bandpass enclosures. Plus, I like the built in speaker protection...no grills. I'm not 1 of those people who needs to see the driver.