Hornresp

Hi David,
I have just found your brilliant piece of software!
I was just getting acquainted with it when it suddenly disappeared.
The executable file is no longer in the Hornresp directory.

So I tried to download it again from the Hornresp site but it was blocked by the antivirus software which claimed it was infected by a Trojan.

I tried to do this on two different computers with two different antivirus software but the same result.

Are you aware of any issues with the download?

Regards
Ray

I also got this with new recent install attempt on an up-to-date windows 10.
It even deleted the application file each time I tried!
Tried install as Sysadmin - no dice.

Eventually downloading the install file via Microsoft Edge browser instead of Google Chrome, it magically worked and installed.
Once installed it's worked fine since!

Well, this can't be good....

Attachments

• 2020-07-14 (1).png
    2020-07-14 (1).png
    166.6 KB · Views: 145
False Positives

Hi Ray, Mårten, Steve and Brian,

Rest assured, Hornresp continues to be completely safe :).

I have just downloaded yet another a copy myself to confirm that it hasn't been hacked in any way.

If connected to the Internet at the time that Hornresp is opened the program automatically checks to see if the latest release is being used. Perhaps this is why your antivirus protection software thinks that Hornresp contains a Trojan. The version check feature was suggested by Thawach way back in September 2012.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-281.html#post3174349

Maybe it would be better if this long-standing feature was now removed, just in case it is the cause of the problem. What do you think?

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 121
Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Well it seems odd that the feature has been there since 2012 and now presents a problem.
I think it is probably something to do with the new Microsoft "Edge" browser that was recently introduced.
I just want to successfully download the program and put it to some good use.
Any advice on how I can achieve that would be appreciated.

Best regards

Ray

If connected to the Internet at the time that Hornresp is opened the program automatically checks to see if the latest release is being used. Perhaps this is why your antivirus protection software thinks that Hornresp contains a Trojan. The version check feature was suggested by Thawach way back in September 2012.

You are probably right. This code is very suspicious ;). Please remove it for testing purposes at least.

Thanks yet again for your efforts David!

Best regards

Mårten

Thanks David,
It would be great to get an advisory that a new version exists, but perhaps some way of making the download process manual, so it doesn't get picked up by defender.
Great idea!
For those having troubles now..

Does downloading and then immediately disconnecting from the internet and being disconnected during the install, work?
No. Defender analyzes the code before it is executed.

Hi GM,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know how you did it, but you managed to end up with no value for the 'maximum amplifier output current in amps' parameter :).

Greets!

You're welcome/thanks! Haven't used it much since then, but fine so far.

FWIW I was doing a lot of rapid back n' forth trying different power settings within the 'Acoustic Power' window and always have the three amp settings 'OFF' with no values, so what if in changing the 'Max Driver Power' and accidentally clicking the 'Max Amp Current' to 'ON' with no current setting, then moving back to the 'Particle Velocity' Tool?

GM

It would be great to get an advisory that a new version exists, but perhaps some way of making the download process manual

Hi Steve,

That's the way it works now :).

On startup, if connected to the Internet, Hornresp checks a small file stored on the download server to see if it contains a product number with a higher value than that of the current open program. If it does, then the message shown in the attachment below is displayed. Note that the downloading of an updated version is manually controlled by the user - it is not an automatic process.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 113
Hi Brian,

Well, you could replace the automatic checking feature with a "Check for updates" option under the "Help" menu.

Great minds think alike - I had already starting looking into the possibility of doing this :).

I suspect though that may not stop Hornresp from being flagged as a virus.

If that is indeed the case, then perhaps it would be better just to leave things as they are? It seems that people are now managing to get around the problem one way or another. As Ray has pointed out, the feature has been there for a number of years but only recently has the false positive problem become an issue.

Kind regards,

David