Hornresp

Guys:
I am a complete novice with horn response and have just downloaded it from the horn response website. It setup fine and I was able to unzipped the files onto my C drive. However, when I try to run it, I received the following warning from Norton:

Threat name: SONAR.heuristic.170

It recommends I remove the file hornresp.exe with a very high risk warning. I am on WINDOWS 10.

Anyone else with this issue.

I run Win7pro with TrendMicro Security and it has always complained about Hornresp setup. I have to right mouse click on the setup file and run as Administrator, then accept the file open warning box and then everything is OK. I could also place it in TrendMicro's exception list but there are other programs that also use the generic "setup" to launch.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Something is wrong with this H-Frame, Need Help!

I must be entering something wrong into Hornresp, I am trying to double check the work I did with MKJ's H frame worksheet from back in the FRD Consortium days.

I don't know what RMS is for HornResp?

The baffle is 18"x12.5" (1451.61 cm^2) and the frame is 12" (30 cm) deep.

Any hints on what I entered wrong?

Attachments

• hornresp h frame.jpg
    hornresp h frame.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 264
  • cheap woofer.jpg
    cheap woofer.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 263
  • mathcad h frame.jpg
    mathcad h frame.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 256
This video starting at 13:00 walks you step by step thru entering TSP.
YouTube

Once entered, you can double-click on the Sd entry box and get the TSP summary as shown in attachment.

Can you provide the MJK worksheet inputs used to produce the attached plot?
I'm trying to understand how the resonance peak can be so low with the frame dimensions you provided.

Attachments

• Hornresp_TSP.png
    Hornresp_TSP.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 257
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I would like to make an M frame dipole woofer as shown in Rudolfs picture.

It was modelled as a normal 25" deep H frame with the intention of actually making an M frame half the depth as per Rudolfs notes.

The dimensions for the H frame were taken from my 1:1 scale drawing of the M frame for baffle size.

Does this make sense?

Have I provided enough details?

Or am I missing something?

Attachments

• mathcad sheet.jpg
    mathcad sheet.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 97
  • graph from rudolf.jpg
    graph from rudolf.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 102
  • box I want to make.jpg
    box I want to make.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 1 to 1 drawing.jpg
    1 to 1 drawing.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 265
To model the M-frame baffle you posted dimensions for as an H-frame of half depth, you would use the inputs shown.

The first plot is what you would measure near field with mic stuck right at the front opening. The bottom plot is the power response, or total power radiated into the room. It is pretty close to what you would measure from a few meters away on axis, but will deviate once you get above the resonance peak and directivity effects start coming into play which Hornresp does not consider. Of course the exact frequency and shape of the resonance peak will be slightly different for the M-frame than for the modeled H-frame, but it will be pretty close.

Attachments

• box I want to make.jpg
    box I want to make.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Hornresp_M-H-Frame.png
    Hornresp_M-H-Frame.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 99
Hi David.

I want to put a bassreflexpipe into the box, however there is no room next to te speaker only on the sides and on top.

Als the length is 45 cm, is to much length a reason ot trouble with resonances?, how I did now I get quite low resonse, with a slight correction to up the speaker qts and a amp, I have I think a nice subwoofer.

This is when the cardioid test is done with a extra open dipole as I read, but think it get big..

thanks

kees

Hi David.

I want to put a bassreflexpipe into the box, however there is no room next to te speaker only on the sides and on top.

Als the length is 45 cm, is to much length a reason ot trouble with resonances?, how I did now I get quite low resonse, with a slight correction to up the speaker qts and a amp, I have I think a nice subwoofer.

This is when the cardioid test is done with a extra open dipole as I read, but think it get big..

thanks

kees

Did forget the pics.

here is it.

Attachments

• DSCN3774.JPG
    DSCN3774.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN3780.JPG
    DSCN3780.JPG
    498.9 KB · Views: 64
Perhaps a slot port around the exterior of the box? That's what I usually do when a long port in a small enclosure is required.

That require a new box, and I have already the pipe and such, only I need to maken the opening on the sides or on top, the subwoofer is a downfiring type, with the speaker above the floor.

like on pic is possible to do?

I do have braces into the bos, the pipe can not be in the middle, I can use smaller pipes, then use two for better view? but do I need then change the length and how do I with hornresp.

thanks for respons

kees

Attachments

• downfiring sub.jpg
    downfiring sub.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: