Hornresp

Hi David, I would to ask does hornresp have Mac version? Kind Regards,

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

When the construction data for a Le Cléac'h horn is exported it is possible to specify either the standard 2007 flare profile (which becomes slightly inaccurate near the horn mouth) or the exact axisymmetric profile.

Previously when the Exact Profile option was selected it was possible to choose from either the Axisymmetric Horn, Rectangular Horn or Petal Horn options, even though only the axisymmetric profile data would be exported, regardless of the option chosen. Attachment 1 refers.

Now when the Exact Profile option is selected, the Rectangular Horn and Petal Horn options are hidden to avoid any confusion. Attachment 2 refers.

(The axisymmetric, rectangular and petal horn data export options are all still available when the Standard Profile option is selected. Attachment 3 refers).

Kind regards,

David

hornresp doesn´t run on MAC OS (X).

You can use something like

vmware Fusion (virtualization)
boot camp (install windows on your mac)
Parralels Desktop (virtualization)
Virtual Box (virtualization)
Wine (came from the linux world and lets you run many windows apps, on OSX, take a look at crossover, which uses the same base but is more user friendly)

hornresp also runs on Reactos (windows re-done from scratch for free)

If you need help with this, please don´t hesitate to ask

Constant diaphragm acceleration vs velocity

Hi David,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
There was also some discussion around that time regarding constant acceleration as well. Do you know why or where constant acceleration would be useful in modelling?
Hi Don,

I was never quite sure how Jean-Michel intended using results generated by a constant diaphragm acceleration model. Tragically he is no longer with us to clarify what he had in mind. The theory involved is simple enough, though.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Given:

w = 2 * Pi * f
Da = constant diaphragm acceleration
Dd = diaphragm displacement

Then:

Dd = Da / (w ^ 2)

////////////////////////////////////////////

Kind regards,

David

I still don't understand, why constant velocity drive of the diaphragm is preferred over constant acceleration drive.

I did a short series of simulations in ABEC comparing constant velocity drive vs constant acceleration vs LEM / TSP drive of the same 2''-diaphragm in a very simple enclosure:
attachment.php

Directivity for the membrane driven with the TSP taken from a 2'' TangBand chassis (W2-748SG):
attachment.php

Same membrane in same enclosure, driven by constant acceleration:
attachment.php

Same membrane, same enclosure, membrane driven by constant velocity:
attachment.php

Comparison of SPL on axis in one image (TSP-driven, const. acceleration, const. velocity):
attachment.php

Not very surprising, this shows the SPL increase with increasing frequency for constant velocity. It shoes as well the very similar SPL for constant acceleration and TSP-drive of the membrane.

Of course, as long as we look at normalized directivity of a horn, it does not matter, which type of drive is applied to the membrane (see control-check, i.e. normalized directivity). This is identical for all three types of drive:
attachment.php

As constant acceleration reflects SPL of a driver much better than constant velocity drive - why is constant velocity drive still preferred for HornResp simulation? Does this fit better to compression driver behaviour (I did not look at this, but DonVKs comment suggest this)? I may have missed something here though...

PS: Discussed here before...

Attachments

• 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Image 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Image 1.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure TSP TB W2 direct 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure TSP TB W2 direct 1.png
    68 KB · Views: 327
  • 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Acceleration Drive direct 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Acceleration Drive direct 1.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Velocity Drive direct 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure Velocity Drive direct 1.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Encl Velocity-Accel-LEM_TSP  SPL 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Encl Velocity-Accel-LEM_TSP SPL 1.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure TSP TB W2 direct norm0 1.png
    2019-04-02 2-Zoll Membr in Enclosure TSP TB W2 direct norm0 1.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
As constant acceleration reflects SPL of a driver much better than constant velocity drive - why is constant velocity drive still preferred for HornResp simulation?

Hi Gaga,

The three attachments show the power response of a 160Hz Le Cléac'h horn with T = 0.8, under the following conditions:

Attachment 1 - TAD TD2001 driver with Eg = 2.83 volts rms
Attachment 2 - Driver diaphragm with a constant velocity of 10 cm/sec rms
Attachment 3 - Driver diaphragm with a constant acceleration of 100 m/sec2 rms

As you can see, the constant acceleration result is very different to the constant voltage and constant velocity results.

The constant velocity option was requested by Jean-Michel, who is sadly no longer with us. The following comments in quotes are taken from two of his posts:

"The constant velocity diaphragm will be very useful to compare horns without the influence of the driver."

"You can simulate a 1" or a 2" horn without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters, introducing Eg = 0 (in place of the normal value Eg = 2,83). Doing this the driver will be considered as a "constant velocity source". This feature is very interesting when designing new horns without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters. For sure the results will be better than with a real driver, specially in the HF (because moving mass = 0)."

Jean-Michel was also the first person to mention constant acceleration, but the option was not added to Hornresp because he didn't specifically request that it be included.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    64 KB · Views: 73
Further to my post above, note the on-axis pressure results when constant velocity and constant acceleration are applied to a piston in an infinite baffle.

Attachment 1 - Constant piston velocity of 10 cm/sec rms
Attachment 2 - Constant piston acceleration of 100 m/sec2 rms

(Sd = 150 cm2 in each case).

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 217
Hi David,

I did some experiments similar to what you mentioned. I was comparing HornResp to ABEC models. I tried this for 3 compression drivers and 2 horns and the results [compression driver, velocity, acceleration] were similar to what you posted.

If we use constant velocity. It appears to model the CD better in the frequency region around horn cutoff and where the impedance is changing. However its not accurate at predicting the attenuation at higher freq. HornResp predicts a output rising faster than ABEC but the issue is still there.

If we use constant acceleration. It appears to model the CD better in the frequency region where the impedance is more constant and the output starts dropping off. However, it's not accurate at predicting the output around cutoff.

It seems that we also need the regions where the "constant" assumption applies.

Hi David, hi Don,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

"You can simulate a 1" or a 2" horn without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters, introducing Eg = 0 (in place of the normal value Eg = 2,83). Doing this the driver will be considered as a "constant velocity source". This feature is very interesting when designing new horns without knowing the Thiele and Small parameters. For sure the results will be better than with a real driver, specially in the HF (because moving mass = 0)."
Yes, I think we agree, that constant velocity drive significantly overestimates SPL at high frequencies. May be this behaviour (masking the 'natural' roll-off towards high frequencies by constant velocity drive) was suggested to be helpful to evaluate horns by JMLC.

From my point of view, constant acceleration could be used to evaluate horn characteristics independently of driver characteristics as well.

However, I'm a bit surprised about the behavior of the compression driver models. I could not find any TSP for the TAD TD2001. Would you mind to post the TSP values you used to model a compression driver in HornResp? Would appreciate very much...

Kind regards,
Christoph

Hi David.

I think there is no doubt that spl is proportional to acceleration of the diaphragm. Therefore with constant velocity we cannot simulate the falling response of a compression driver in a horn within its normal operating range. For constant velocity acceleration is zero and this cannot be true. Maybe it is valid to Show the properties of the Horn itself.

The cycle time for low freqs is largeer and with constant velocity the diaphragm receives a higher velocity and more spl. I assume that JMLC was interested in the constant accl feature because he intended to get a rough impression how an ideal driver would show up the generally observed falling spl towards higher freqs

ND1480A_16_SL400HZ_mouth.jpg

I could not find any TSP for the TAD TD2001. Would you mind to post the TSP values you used to model a compression driver in HornResp?

Hi Christoph,

I used the values shown in the attachment.

(The driver and chamber values are the same as those given by Don in his first linked post).

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 195
For constant velocity acceleration is zero

Hi docali,

The term constant velocity as used in Hornresp means that the rms and peak values of the diaphragm velocity do not change with frequency. The actual velocity and acceleration of the diaphragm will vary sinusoidally with a 90 degree phase difference between the two.

For constant peak velocity as shown in Attachment 1, the peak acceleration varies as shown in Attachment 2.

For constant peak acceleration as shown in Attachment 3, the peak velocity varies as shown in Attachment 4.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 70
Hi David,

Would you consider adding constant acceleration drive. Maybe via further overloading on the Eg variable?

Eg > 0 : actual drive voltage
Eg = 0 : constant velocity 0.1m/s
Eg < 0 : constant acceleration 100m/s

P.S. The constant acceleration graph appears to already be in hornresp. Is that a special build or foresight :)?

many thanks
Don

Last edited:
Hi David,
Of course, as long as we look at normalized directivity of a horn, it does not matter, which type of drive is applied to the membrane (see control-check, i.e. normalized directivity). This is identical for all three types of drive:

Of course, since unless the driving method can change how the diaphragm breaks up, it cannot change the directivity. Which again highlights the fact that you cannot modify the directivity of a single driver by electronic means.

As constant acceleration reflects SPL of a driver much better than constant velocity drive - why is constant velocity drive still preferred for HornResp simulation?

Constant acceleration gives flat SPL for a direct radiator, where the radiation resistance increases 12dB/octave. This is not the case for horns.