Hornresp

Hi 3GGG,

I wish to build a 80 Hz Le Cleach Horn, terminating at 90 degrees with a throat diameter of 25mm.

A throat diameter of 25 mm seems rather small for a 80 Hz horn. Did you mean 25 cm?

It will be 4 sided, all sides equal in size. When I export the data does that give the coordinates for each panel, so they will flex into the correct shape? Or does it produce the coordinates of the final horn, as if it has been cut thru the central plane? Similar to the round horns. I hope this makes sense, basically i want to plot the exported coordinates, make a horn mould with bendy ply and bracing.

Assuming that the horn data is exported using the Rectangular Horn option rather than the Petal Horn option, then for the attached Lec.txt file (with 25 mm throat diameter):

'Height/2' plotted against 'Side Len' gives the flat profile of one side of the horn, which can then be bent to make a horn mould.

'Height/2' plotted against 'Length' gives the standard elevation view of the horn, as shown in Attachment 4.

(Height/2 is the half-height - the distance either side of the centre-line)

See the Export Horn Data section in the Hornresp Help file for further details.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Lec.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 37
Great Thank you David. I did mean 25 mm, I am playing with some compression drivers and looking for a 100-150 Hz cut off to go above my 16 Hz bass horn I have.
Once again thank you for HornResp

Hi 3GGG,

A throat diameter of 25 mm seems rather small for a 80 Hz horn. Did you mean 25 cm?

Assuming that the horn data is exported using the Rectangular Horn option rather than the Petal Horn option, then for the attached Lec.txt file (with 25 mm throat diameter):

'Height/2' plotted against 'Side Len' gives the flat profile of one side of the horn, which can then be bent to make a horn mould.

'Height/2' plotted against 'Length' gives the standard elevation view of the horn, as shown in Attachment 4.

(Height/2 is the half-height - the distance either side of the centre-line)

See the Export Horn Data section in the Hornresp Help file for further details.

Kind regards,

David

Great Thank you David. I did mean 25 mm, I am playing with some compression drivers and looking for a 100-150 Hz cut off to go above my 16 Hz bass horn I have.
Once again thank you for HornResp

100 to 150 on a compression driver!

Are you planning on a three way system?

Because going that low on a compression driver is a very tall task to ask for.

100-150 Hz..........going that low on a compression driver is a very tall task to ask for.

Indeed it does, the WE 15 horn uses the 1" exit 555 driver that covers the entire vocal range and there's replicas available for both, though the driver isn't an exact replica and if you have to ask what the prices are, you probably can't afford either.

FWIW, I did 300 Hz/2nd order XO using dual 1" Altec 802 drivers [one low passed] on a ~212 Hz DIY horn and Altec made some four driver adapters for either extreme SPL @ 300 Hz or 150 Hz customs, so multiples is the way to go.

GM

Hornresp Update 3700-150301

Hi Everyone,

I found a bug while checking the operation of the Filter Wizard (in response to Jack's posts #5272 and #5275). The sequence of actions leading to the generation of the fatal error is as follows:

1. Import room gain profile
2. Calculate default record results
3. Include room gain
4. Open Filter Wizard
5. Select Filter Phase output option
6. Close Filter Wizard
7. Re-open Filter Wizard

Error Message:

Run-time error '380':
Invalid property value

This bug has now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 230
I used the Goto SG-570 down to 200Hz on a big straight exponential horn. I think it was a 150Hz horn (I didn't design or build it). Sounded great. I never took max output / distortion measurements of it (afraid to break it - it wasn't mine), but it would go loud with no noticeable distortion. I'm contemplating something similar with my own setup, but without the Goto driver. Whenever I get around to finishing that, I'll have tons of measurements.

Contraindicated

Hi David

I wish to build a 80 Hz Le Cleach Horn, terminating at 90 degrees with a throat diameter of 25mm. It will be 4 sided, all sides equal in size. When I export the data does that give the coordinates for each panel, so they will flex into the correct shape? Or does it produce the coordinates of the final horn, as if it has been cut thru the central plane? Similar to the round horns. I hope this makes sense, basically i want to plot the exported coordinates, make a horn mould with bendy ply and bracing.

The air-flow resistance of a 25mm (1/10") dia. orifice is to high to pass the volume velocity needed to deliver any reasonable SPL at the lower bound of the frequencies of interest. Typically a 3" to 4" dia. throat should be used.
Note that the phase plug area will have a bounding dia. much larger the 25mm.

Regards,

WHG

The air-flow resistance of a 25mm (1/10") dia. orifice is to high to pass the volume velocity needed to deliver any reasonable SPL at the lower bound of the frequencies of interest. Typically a 3" to 4" dia. throat should be used.
Note that the phase plug area will have a bounding dia. much larger the 25mm.

Regards,

WHG

At 120dB you will see about 10m/s peak at 100Hz for a 25mm diameter throat, rather large 80Hz horn in 2pi loading according to Hornresp. That seems fine to me for home use, although it's obviously a pretty extreme setup.

Ridiculous!

At 120dB you will see about 10m/s peak at 100Hz for a 25mm diameter throat, rather large 80Hz horn in 2pi loading according to Hornresp. That seems fine to me for home use, although it's obviously a pretty extreme setup.

1) Volume-velocity is in m^3/s.

2) Velocity [c] = [Vv]/[So] (m/sec)
So=[pi]*([Do]^2)/4 - Area of Orifice (m^2)

3) This is not the same as implementing a high compression ratio at the phase plug [St]. In practice, as the lower frequency bound is lowered, [St] at the phase plug is increased.

I fail to see any benefit to be gained by reducing horn throat diameter to 25 mm, other than to unnecessarily impair the performance of the extremely expensive compression driver that is required.

WHG