Hornresp

My mistake, remembered wrong.

Hi Art,

I think your memory is probably fine :).

The default output is determined by how the system is specified in Hornresp.

Attachment 1 - Direct radiator output is the default.
Attachment 2 - Port output is the default.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach1.png
    Attach1.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Attach2.png
    Attach2.png
    38 KB · Views: 133
Hornresp Update 3340-140120

Hi Everyone,

Having already spent many more hours working on the Filter Wizard than originally planned, despite my best intentions I reluctantly came to the conclusion that adding a few extra hours at this late stage couldn’t possibly make matters any worse :). Accordingly, the changes described below have been implemented. The Filter Wizard now has 8563 lines of code equivalent to 143 pages when printed out. So much for my lack of interest in filters...

The logic and code controlling the wizard user interface is now quite complex. I have tested every scenario and condition I can think of, but no doubt I will have overlooked something. Could you please let me know if you find any bugs or notice any inconsistencies in the operation of the wizard - thanks.

CHANGE 1

Filter Wizard settings are retained between calls when the wizard is exited by pressing the Close button. Settings are not retained if the wizard is exited by clicking the 'X' control box or by pressing the Esc key .

CHANGE 2

Two additional generalised active filter options have been included. They are called simply 'Second Order' and 'Fourth Order', and enable second and fourth order low pass, high pass and band pass filters to be specified using cutoff frequency and quality factor as inputs (see Attachment 1).

Notes:

When a Q Factor of 0.71 is specified, the Filter Wizard actually uses the more precise value of 1 / (2 ^ 0.5) in the calculations.

A second order filter with Q = 0.50 is equivalent to a second order Linkwitz-Riley filter.
A second order filter with Q = 0.71 is equivalent to a second order Butterworth filter.
A fourth order filter with Q = 0.71 is equivalent to a fourth order Linkwitz-Riley filter.

CHANGE 3

When the Filter Wizard active filter alignment label was double-clicked to switch from First Order Butterworth to Second Order Linkwitz-Riley, the slope label did not change from -6 dB per octave to -12 dB per octave (see Attachment 2). This bug has now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I made a simulation of a TL successfully dampening the first third of the cabinet. However, simulating a MLTL cannot be done since there are not enough sections :-(.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Mårten,

Am I correct in assuming that in your design above, ideally you would like to be able to partially fill segment 2 with absorbent material, from S2 to the red line?

Kind regards,

David

Something else for me to think about in my spare time :).

In fact there is. Quite often I do parabolic designs with offset driver. The angle of the first section is the same as the second section. It would be nice to be able to tell Hornresp that two or more sections should have the same expansion rate, and let Hornresp decide the areas between these sections.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
David, I'm enquiring about the T factor of the Le Cleach profile.

I've been considering what might be done as far as widening the pattern in the upper octaves with an axissymmetrical horn, either by taking these closer to being conical on their own, or by splicing them near the throat.

Would there be a way I could simulate the properties of a Le Cleach horn with T>1.5? I can obtain the profiles from Jmmlc's spreadsheet.

Quite often I do parabolic designs with offset driver. The angle of the first section is the same as the second section. It would be nice to be able to tell Hornresp that two or more sections should have the same expansion rate, and let Hornresp decide the areas between these sections.

Hi Mårten,

Double-click on the red 'S2 Manual' slider label. In 'S2 Auto' mode the flare rates of segments 1 and 2 become the same, and the value of L12 can be changed without altering the overall flare rate or length.

There is no need to specify more than two segments in an offset driver design if the segments are to have the same expansion rate.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 117
Would there be a way I could simulate the properties of a Le Cleach horn with T>1.5?

Hi AllenB,

T for Le Cléac’h horns was limited to a maximum value of 1.5 because of concerns I had regarding the accuracy of the throat acoustical impedance predictions when larger values were used. The Hornresp model has been refined since then, so it may no longer be a problem. I will conduct some tests to see if the restriction can be lifted.

Jean-Michel himself saw little value in using the Le Cléac’h profile above about T = 2 ^ 0.5 or 1.41, which is why I settled on an upper limit of 1.5.

Kind regards,

David