Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Hornresp
Hornresp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2021, 06:27 AM   #12381
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
The horn would then have the general form shown in Attachment 2 (not to scale).
Just to clarify - as far as the model used in the actual simulation is concerned, to be theoretically correct, segment 4 should have an exponential flare not a conical one.

I suspect that it won't make much practical difference to the calculated results either way, though.
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (48.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by David McBean; 6th September 2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 6th September 2021, 06:40 AM   #12382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
To mimmic the bifuricated design I would design a horn with the appropriate mouth area of one half of the enclosure. I modeled them together using the tools button then multiple speakers. There will be a difference in impedance and therefore SPL due to the choices of series or parallel for the driver impedance.
Hi Mark,

With a bifurcated design, to avoid the differences you mention simply double the cross-sectional areas of one half, and simulate as a single speaker.

Kind regards,

David
Old 6th September 2021, 04:44 PM   #12383
mwmkravchenko is offline mwmkravchenko  Canada
diyAudio Member

That is a way that I have done also David.

There are many paths to simulation using Hornresp. It's what makes it such a versatile program.

And such an invaluable program!
Old 7th September 2021, 03:05 PM   #12384
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just to clarify - as far as the model used in the actual simulation is concerned, to be theoretically correct, segment 4 should have an exponential flare not a conical one.

I suspect that it won't make much practical difference to the calculated results either way, though.
Looks like all the segments should be parabolic.
Old 8th September 2021, 09:20 AM   #12385
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Looks like all the segments should be parabolic.
Because segments 1 and 2 have been specified as very short cylinders, the flares chosen for those segments have no meaning, and are therefore disregarded when calculating the results.

The flare of segment 3 is ill-defined, it is neither one thing or the other. Take your pick - your guess is as good as mine :-).

Because only segment 4 is available to specify the remainder of the system, it needs to be exponential to reflect the overall cross-sectional area expansion rate of the horn.

However:

If three segments were available to specify the remainder of the system, then strictly speaking the first and third segments as shown in Attachment 1 should be parabolic. The flare of the middle segment shown in Attachment 1 is ill-defined (similar to segment 3 mentioned above).

Even if parabolic segments were used, the overall flare expansion rate would remain effectively exponential, as can be seen by comparing the profiles of Attachments 2 and 3.
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (297.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png Attach_2.png (47.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png Attach_3.png (47.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 8th September 2021, 09:53 AM   #12386
elmans is offline elmans
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I apologize for the very basic questions, hopefully they can be answered quickly (I honestly cannot read 1300 pages before I post, I did read a good bunch of the wiki and the hornresp help).

I am trying to model some simple (Vifantastich (see post #155) with TC9FD18) and not so simple (FrugelHorn with FE126En).

I take the driver parameters from loudspeakerdatabase.com, which may be a first isue as I don't have the same parameters as the references on the respective threads.

Also there must be other significant errors in my sims, because the results are way off (so much I don't dare to post them) :

Hornresp-FH.png Hornresp-FH2.png HornrespVF.png

Would someone be so kind to post the correct input parameters for either or both loudspeakers ?

Thanks lots in advance
Old 8th September 2021, 06:40 PM   #12387
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Hi David

Is the attached sim something which "should" be a straight forwards build? I don't know if its feasible much less straightforwards

Best wishes,
Freddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IS THIS THROAT VENTED SIM FEASIBLE.jpg (431.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 8th September 2021, 07:02 PM   #12388
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hornresp
Hi elmans - here's a mass loaded version which might be of help as its response was documented

Flat Wall Mount Stereo MLTL using TC9FD's (2)
Old 8th September 2021, 11:29 PM   #12389
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Because segments 1 and 2 have been specified as very short cylinders, the flares chosen for those segments have no meaning, and are therefore disregarded when calculating the results.

The flare of segment 3 is ill-defined, it is neither one thing or the other. Take your pick - your guess is as good as mine :-).

Because only segment 4 is available to specify the remainder of the system, it needs to be exponential to reflect the overall cross-sectional area expansion rate of the horn.

However:

If three segments were available to specify the remainder of the system, then strictly speaking the first and third segments as shown in Attachment 1 should be parabolic. The flare of the middle segment shown in Attachment 1 is ill-defined (similar to segment 3 mentioned above).

Even if parabolic segments were used, the overall flare expansion rate would remain effectively exponential, as can be seen by comparing the profiles of Attachments 2 and 3.
If there are parallel walls (top & bottom or left & right
panels) from the throat to the mouth of a horn, then all the segments are parabolic.
Old 8th September 2021, 11:37 PM   #12390
diyAudio Member

B an C are parabolic horns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210908-183526_Samsung Internet.jpg (239.7 KB, 35 views)

HornrespHide this!Advertise here!