2 amps on 1 Dvc subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello people

Ive recently opened a thread up called "2 amps better than 1?" where I wanted to power a dual 12" subwoofer with 2 amps but the ohms on the woofers were not in a very nice way for me to get the highest power uot of them

Is it possible to use 2 of the same amplifier on a dvc subwoofer? (an amp on each coil)

Im asking this because, both my woofers are is the same box without a divider and If remove one of the woofers and covered the hole it left, the single remaining woofer gets its recommended litres and goes a lot lower,

cause then I could sell the other subwoofer :)

What are the bad points of this?

I never heard this before and have been doing this in my HT for about 5 months now....hmmm
I have been testing a single
15" DVC (4 ohm vc each ) sealed sono tube sub with one stereo ESS amp currently and have tried my 2 DIY monoblock Krell 150's with no issues on this same sub

never a hiccup so far

Regards
David

ah thats good to hear :) but what do you mean by "You must make sure that the 2 signals added together actually amount to something proportional to the input power"

now that were getting some where, what would happen if say one amp was set to say -30 and the other was set to -40, I cant see how that is bad?

I have never worked with DVC subs before, so i might be wrong here, but this is how i see it:

If you hook up a stereo amp, left channel to 1 voice coil and right channel to the other voice coil, and set the balance to full left, its not like your amp's gonna blow up - right?? 'cos im sure thats 1 of the configurations you use with a DVC sub.

So i doubt having different gains on your amps will damage anything - my only question is why would u have different gains if your amps will be the same??

IMO you'll be fine. Even if you reverse one. Its not like the coil can be destroyed from it.

Most subs are about 1% efficient. 99% of the energy becomes heat.

If you wire it backwards they become 0% efficient, and 100% of the energy becomes heat.

The coils magnetic fields cancel and there will be no force on the VC at all.

Thermally it'll heat up a little quicker since its not moving.

The amp will be fine if its any good. It's done quite often in car audio(I'm a little more into that than home audio but still). And no I'm not talking about stapping amps.

You'll be fine with 1 amp per coil.

You could even do 2 per coil, but you'd need stappable amps ;).

And I really doubt the amps will see each other through the inductance of the coil. Maybe a little, but its a VC not a transformer ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.