2 amps on 1 Dvc subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I got sick of reading this about half way through..

however, why not just invert the input to one amplifier... connect the two voice coils in series, and run the two amplifiers bridged...

its exactly the same as running one amplifier per coil, except you have no chance of messing anything up!

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
a "normal" amplifier, if you reverse the phase on one channel, and run the speaker from the positive of one channel, to the positive of the other channel.

unless the amplifier is already two channels internally bridged.

if your amplifier has a 0-180 degree phase switch, you shoudl jsut be able to set this to 0 degrees on one, and 180 degrees on the other :)

of course... you cant blame me if you blow something up

:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Toast_Master said:
well Im not even gonna try that cause, I don't wanna blow up 2 x 500 rms plate amps and a 12" subwoofer if it does not work,

but lets say it did, would I connect one negative of one amp and then the positive off the other amp?

no, you'd use the two postives, as one signal is now inverted, so its negative with respect to the output from the other amp...

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Toast_Master said:
well if that bridges them how do you turn them up uniformly, or do you have to set them like as if I ran them on separate coils, are you sure I can do this, this sounds very dodge compared to one amp a coil

its exactly what car audio amplifiers do...

I assume you're running this off some kind of preamp, or else how did you plan on adjusting the volume of all the speakers?

you would match the gains on the amplifiers, run one channel inverted, and the other the normal phase...

the speaker would be connected from the positive on one amp, to the positive on the other amp....

if you measure from the RCA ground, to the negative speaker output, if this is connected, then you can bridge the amplifiers by this method... if they are not connected, then the amplifier is two channels internally bridged

The relative outputs of the amp may vary a little at sub frequency's and are of little concern. It would just be additive since both channels push at the same time

Take a 9 volt battery and touch each voice coil (DVC) ( + to + - to-) both coils should push out for correct

With a mono input to a stereo amp make sure the amp outputs are not reversed in relation to each other.

It's really that simple

Regards
David

Thats what I wanted to do lol, seems a little less problematic than trying to bridge the amps which has no benefit over an amp a coil method,

Now that thats out of the way, I just wanna know what could happen if say there was quite a bit of difference with amps setting on each, will it just affect the sound or damage components, and that excludes reverse phase on one and different signals

Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Toast_Master said:
Thats what I wanted to do lol, seems a little less problematic than trying to bridge the amps which has no benefit over an amp a coil method,

Now that thats out of the way, I just wanna know what could happen if say there was quite a bit of difference with amps setting on each, will it just affect the sound or damage components, and that excludes reverse phase on one and different signals

Thanks

wont damage anything, but will make it less loud...

if one amplifier is only giving half the power of the other one for example, you wont actually damage anything, as long as they are still in phase :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Toast_Master said:
ah thank you thats the answer I wanted to hear :)

What about if the subsonic filter and eq setting were diff, just sound problems again?

btw im just asking not cause im gonna have them diff, I just wanna know what could happen if I tried

you'd really be better off not using any of the filters on the amplifiers, and doing that all externally, with a single filter/preamp/etc for both amplifiers...

but, you still wont damage anything :p

DVC sub and 2 mono amps is fine.

You need to ensure a few things:

1) You correctly wire the coils.

2) The low level signal you send to both the amps is mono, this ensures both coil are driven at the same time.

3) You test using a 50hz tone and a multimeter that the amps are putting out the same power, if they are not you need to adjust one until they are the same.

It may be preferable to ignore the filtering on the plate amps and use another electronic method (at AV Reciever/Processor) thus both amps are getting same filtered signal, this can be a problem if you don't have very flexable cross over points.

By the way if it was me I would not sell the subwoofer, I would seal the hole, make a large mounting ring baffle infront of the first subwoofer and do a clamshell Isobaric sealed it will play much lower!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Isobaric, as suggested by micb, seems like a much better idea, in light of your too small box

In that case its possible to configure a 4ohm load, making a perfect load fore a single plateamp with much less hazzle

You could even mount a passive "slave" in the other hole, but I dont know if thats a good idea at all

Several people has claimed that its ok with twin plateamps, a few says that its important with tricky adjustments, and maybe even bypassing active xo, tricky adjustments that could be easily upset by dusting off, children or party guests or whatever ... still, noone has yet said anything about any huge advantage, only that its possible

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.