Undivided Sealed Enclosure Response With Multiple Drivers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may sound like a stupid question, but I have yet to find someone who can give me a good answer to it:

How do multiple drivers react when installed in a single undivided sealed enclosure - with regard to (Fb/F3 etc.)?

For instance - Say you install 4 12" drivers in a single undivided 4.0 ft3 (Net) enclosure. Do the woofers react as if each driver was installed in it's own 1.0 ft3 box, as if each was installed in it's own 4.0 Ft3 box, or Somewhere in between?

If so, is there some easy formula to calculate the volume that each driver "sees" to determine box response characteristics?

Thanks,

Hans

You could try figuring it out yourself with a little experiment in a normal loudspeaker simulation program. Look at the response of one driver in volume of x liters, the response of n drivers in the volume n*x and the response of n drivers in the volume x. The first two are probably the same graphs, the third will have a higher cutoff.

richie00boy said:
I was expecting more difference from 1x in 25 litres to 2x in 25 litres. Maybe it's just the large y-scale putting me off.

Well, in this case fc changes from 53 to 65 Hz. Qtc changes from 0.7 to 0.85. What may be confusing is that there is an baffle step in the picture as well, that is not compensated for.

Here is the same graph without the baffle step:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.