Will it ruin the great sound I have?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What could I expect if I was to add another identical driver to my sub box. It's 77L tuned to 20Hz at the moment.
It's a DF design but I'm considering adding the other driver on the smaller vertical face/baffle.

Or

Should I build another Identical box and locate it somewhere else in my room?

Or

A bigger box (200L) and have them both DF?

The driver bottoms out when I play films REALLY loud so adding another driver seems like the best option, to me.

It's pictured here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100701

Adding a driver to your existing box is not really an option.

Either build a box twice the volume (mount the drivers on opposite sides to benefit from push push vibration control)

Or build a second identical enclosure.

Personally I'd do the first option, then if it's still not got enough welly build another 2 driver enclosure for a total of 4 drivers.

Rob.

RobWells said:
Adding a driver to your existing box is not really an option.

Either build a box twice the volume (mount the drivers on opposite sides to benefit from push push vibration control)

Or build a second identical enclosure.

Personally I'd do the first option, then if it's still not got enough welly build another 2 driver enclosure for a total of 4 drivers.

Rob.

I like the way you think. 4 drivers! :D

Thanks for the advice, I like the opposite sides idea.

Rich.

So with a push-push configuration should the drivers be in separate chambers or share the same internal air-space?

Also, that's going to shift a mighty amount of air so would it be wise to use a large sealed box or use a couple of pretty large ports?

I prefer the ported design as it kind of eliminates the need for EQ.

Rich.

Am I correct in thinking I need to double the size of my box to accomodate 2 drivers? Otherwise box response will be reduced.

If this is indeed the case, surely it would be better to have 2 seperate enclosures which can be in different positions in my room.

Based on a 100L ported box tuned to 20Hz i'm thinking that rather than having a massive 200L box, 2 100L boxes might give me more flexibility with the same performance????

If you put the pipe into the panel flush to the external side, then use a 3/4 inch roundover bit in a router to round the hole like you would round an edge of a panel.

Probably not quite the radius of flare you were looking for though.

What frequency are you looking to tune to? 4 inch might be big enough if it's pretty low.

Personally I'm not bothered about flares that much - you need them each side of the pipe to be 'doing it right'. Putting them at one side only causes distortion IMO.

richie00boy said:
If you put the pipe into the panel flush to the external side, then use a 3/4 inch roundover bit in a router to round the hole like you would round an edge of a panel.

Probably not quite the radius of flare you were looking for though.

What frequency are you looking to tune to? 4 inch might be big enough if it's pretty low.

Personally I'm not bothered about flares that much - you need them each side of the pipe to be 'doing it right'. Putting them at one side only causes distortion IMO.

I just thought it was the right thing to do really. ATM i have a 77L box tuned to 20Hz but the port noise below 25Hz gets quite intrusive.
The port I used is a very thick/stiff roughtly 10mm card tube with internal dia of 79mm (like a mini sonotube)

Because of this noise on my second sub I was going to replace it with a larger diametre smoother pvc tube of about 100mm dia, like the monolith sub uses.

The BK monolith has flared ends!

Marsh said:
........The port I used is a very thick/stiff roughtly 10mm card tube with internal dia of 79mm (like a mini sonotube)

Because of this noise on my second sub I was going to replace it with a larger diametre smoother pvc tube of about 100mm dia, like the monolith sub uses.....
Hi,
4inch UPVC drain pipe is 102 int. diam. and 110 ext. diam.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.