Using a Seas Lotus 12 inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've pulled a bunch of my car audio stuff out and I've got a 12 inch Seas Lotus sub I'm looking to stick in a box for home use. The specs are here . Given those, I'm sure that they are different from a typical home subwoofer, but is it feasible?

I was looking at either the bash or dayton 500w amps here . Do any of you have any experience with either?

If it all would work out, I'm tempted to go with a sealed enclosure for simplicity's sake as this would be my first attempt at building a subwoofer. Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

no one is replying and i cant understand why cause its an easy question.... so i will.

while that is technichally a "car" subwoofer, it looks like it will do quite well in a home enviroment! low fs(20hz) lowish qts, and a medium sized vas mean that it will probably do well in a very reasonably sized vented box. Download WinISD pro, and play around with it a little(im assuming you have the knowhow to do this, if not theres plenty of help available on the boards)

now about the amp, i wouldnt pull the trigger on that yet, i doubt youll need all 500 watts. With that much linear excursion on a 12". Boxes in home audio are larger, and tuned lower, which usually means a cut in power handling, id tend to think that 250 watts would be a better number for that driver. But the only way to actually know how much power you will need is to model it in winISD and use the cone excursion chart to find out how much power you need.

sealed cabinets are only very margianally easier to build than vented ones, but teh choice depends on what you will use it for. Music? movies? both? how much of each?(eg: 10% movies 90% music or vice versa)

i have experience with the dayton 240 watt amps, and have to say im quite pleased, they do theyre job well, sound quite clean, and have good protection to help you nopt kill your sub/amp if you make a little boo boo. The bash amps are also from what ive heard quite well regarded, and SVS( a large and highly regarded home theatre subwoofer company) use bash amps on their subs AFAIK, so id tend to think that either is good, but like i said i doubt youll need that much power.

i would help you model and pick an alignment for you sub, but my home computer is currently crashed, although if you really need help, i can always install winISD on one of the school computers on tuesday, and help you out that way.

I really appreciate the help.

It'll be mainly used for listening to music but it will get occasional movie use. I'm more interested in getting the best sound quality out of it more than anything. I'm stuck with a mac untill I get home where I can play around with the program on a pc, but I glad to hear it's an accetable driver. I looked at a few other woofers and they all seemed pretty close to the specs on the Lotus which made me happy. Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.