Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

30" long 4" Precision Port
30" long 4" Precision Port
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2007, 12:08 PM   #1
PoorboyMike is offline PoorboyMike  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 30" long 4" Precision Port

I'm building a 3.7 ft^3 (gross, I'm figuring a little over 3 after subtracting driver/port/braces/amp) box for a TC OEM12 and as an experiment, I'm going to try porting this thing tuned to 18 hz. Even 20 hz would be OK, which will make it a little easier.

Has anybody had any luck finding pipe and elbows that will work with the thin wall Precision Ports? I was messing around with some 3" PVC parts I had laying around(45 and 90 degree elbows) and I'm pretty sure I can get the required length with some strategic bends. I just don't have the ports in hand yet to see if I can find something that will work.

I thought about the Parts Express flared kit but that elbow looks like a very sharp bend, plus one end is male and they don't have any connector rings available for hooking up a pipe to that end!
Old 9th May 2007, 02:26 AM   #2
lolojr1 is offline lolojr1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to lolojr1 Send a message via Yahoo to lolojr1
i have done this before.
there are some thin wall elbows for drainage that fit with a little coaxing its not the average sch 40 pipe that you use to put in a sink or a toilet but the stuff for gutters and draintlie.
it's called sdr35 i think the pipe is green and the fittings should be white although they are a little sharp at the bends so a 45 might work better than a 90 considering that you are using a aeroport to reduce noise
Old 9th May 2007, 01:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks lolojr1, I will check that out. My ports should be here today so I can take them to Lowes/HD with me to check for fit.

On the sub you built, how did it sound having such a long port?
Old 9th May 2007, 10:17 PM   #4
lolojr1 is offline lolojr1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to lolojr1 Send a message via Yahoo to lolojr1
i had them in my truck and had it tuned really low sounded pretty good it had 1 4" port per 12" woofer
Old 11th May 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I went to Lowes last night with a 4" Dayton tube and a 3" Precision Port tube. I went to the plumbing section and found the 4" sewer pipe elbows fit the 4" tube quite well. 2 90 degree elbows hooked together form a nice, gentle arc and give about 19" of port length. I'll just use a short section of the Dayton tube on both ends to connect the ports and will easily get a 30" port in this box.

For the 3", a series of schedule 30 PVC 45 degree elbows also make a fairly gentle arc, and fit good enough to the tube that a seal will be pretty easy, although I haven't measured the length yet. If I wanted to, I could get 2 30" long 3" precesion ports in the box, which would give me the same 18hz tune with slightly less air speed.

A word on the Dayton port kits. The elbow they supply is a very sharp bend and one end is male and one is female. They don't have any couplers in stock to connect a pipe to the male end of the elbow, (they wouldn't even show up in a search with the part # they gave me) so you'll need to find something locally anyway. Also, the fit and finish on the flares is not the greatest. This sub is going to a customer, so I can't send it out with a scuffed up port flare. And they wont just send me a new one, they are sending a shipper 1st, then I have to send this one back before they will ship a new one.

30" long 4" Precision PortHide this!Advertise here!