Klason & Strange, folded basshorn, acient design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Anyone got any experience with this old design ?

The stand (the triangle) is actually part of the horn,
it stands in front of the hole in the bottomplate.

It's supposed to go from 30Hz up to 300Hz.

Cheers,

Empee

Attachments

• kunds.jpg
    kunds.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,579

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Empee,

Speaker from the Swedish magazine “Radio & Television” (“Ljud och Bild” today)
That one you displayed is the first in a series of three for 10" driver. Later came two newer versions for 12" driver, one smaller (RT2)and one in the same size as the first one. I have built the bigger of the latest called RT3.
Unfortunately it got destroyed about 20 years ago when a radiator started to leak water.

Back then I was very impressed by the sound, the usual horn benefits was there. Bass extension well down to 30Hz.

I do have the plans somewhere......

Plans !!

Hello Rudolf and 4fun,

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I searched "audiotreff" and found some usefull graphs!
makes me want to build this thing!!

Hey,
you say there were "new versions" ?
somehow improved I guess, and in different sizes aswell ??

I hope you can locate these plans, am very curious !!

cheers,

Empee

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Empee,

I think the first RT1 (called that then the later ones came out) was designed in 1974-75).

you say there were "new versions"
somehow improved I guess, and in different sizes aswell ??
Yep, two newer versions in 1978.
RT2 that was same size as the old RT1 but 12" driver, very simular but with some improvements.
RT3 little smaller (40Hz), more easy to build, again 12" driver.

From this it's obvious that i was wrong about RT2 and RT3 in last post, RT2 is the larger one. Sorry about that.

I will dig in the archives to find the old articles.

Thank you very much for searching,

For sure I'm gonna build one.
If only for the test with a lot of scrap-wood I got left.

What driver did you use back then ?

I know the recommended driver is an Isophon 225 alu,
but will a different driver do ?

Cheers,

Empee

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,
Empee said:

What driver did you use back then ?
I did try a few, of those I remember:
Gamma LA-1231 (still available)
Philips AD12100HP8
H||H B12L

The "Gamma" being the best performer at the time, although today new choices are available of course.

Little info about the RT2 from memory:
Compared to your drawing, driver is mounted the other way around with back chamber facing inwards. Triangle enclosed and part of the back chamber.
Dimensions HxWxD/mm:~500x1200x600
I will get the articles on Monday, I'll post the designs then.

WOW!

I know about the Klason & Strange horn, but I didn't know there was a 12" version! Can you email me the article as well?

I recently built a Schmackshorn for a 12" driver. It's a backloaded horn of German origin and this particular version is cornerloaded. I built it out of curiousity after vintage horn designs and was not disappointed. :cool: Here's a Sketchup drawing:

30cmschmackstoon.jpg

The horn very effectively uses the corner as an extension. It gives deep bass, while the actual cabinet is very small in comparison. Bass goes deep with full force, but the special cabinet material (softboard) absorbs resonances, so Bass also goes clean.

Here are the plans:
http://www.audiofanatic.it/Piani_costruttivi/pic_piani/Schmacks/schmacks3.JPG

I really wanted to build a Klason & Strange horn originally, but I only had 8", 12" and 15" drivers available. I didn't have a design for a 12" Klason & Strange available, but I did have the Schmacksdesign, so I built that.

I'm really a frontloaded horn man, much more so than a backloaded horn man. If you coul email me the plans/article, I would be very greatful... AND probably build this horn.

Please? :D Regards, have a good mondaymorning.
Ivo

Hi Anders, great that you are still reading and replying to this thread.

I am a new member of diyaudio.com, so I am "under moderation". My posts are read before you can see them, and I don't have access to the email function yet. Anything to avoid abuse apparently, which I think is good.

Maybe we can try it like this:
v-2u<at>dds.nl --> (Replace <at> with @).

Thanks!!!
Ivo

Hoi Empee,

Yeah, I live in Broek in Waterland, which is just north of Amsterdam.

Of course you are welcome to visit, but I am in the middle of system tuning etc. There's not much to listen to at the moment. Just a lot of promise... ;)

I have a hummy and hissy graphic EQ in the Schmacks signal chain and there's a midrange resonance in my mid/high horns. I have ordered parts to build the right filter for my Schmacks and am drawing a better midrange horn as we speak, so it'll be fixed soon.

Let's agree to be in touch. You have my email. Like I said, you are very welcome for a visit. I'm curious to find out what someone else thinks of my system.

BTW, I hang out at the zelfbouwaudio.nl forum. As far as I can tell, it has the highest horn-density of the Dutch audio scene. You might enjoy reading it.

Ivo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.