Klason & Strange, folded basshorn, acient design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Larger Driver

The Klason Horn is intended to be operated as a single sub-woofer below 100 Hz. As such, the design could be scaled to match the superior performance of an 18" or 21" driver such as those made by Precision Devices (see attached PDFs).

Regards,
WHG

Attachments

• PD1850DataSheet110912.pdf
    287.7 KB · Views: 156
  • PD2150DataSheet110912.pdf
    288.6 KB · Views: 92
Hello Bill, nice to see you again. We "met" on the old Cornu forum back in the day.

Which of the versions would you scale up? It seems that the newer version of the RT1 (the old familiar Klasonhorn as was known in Europe from the Klinger loudspeakerbook) had the most extended and linear response. But, with your expertise, which one would you choose?

Here are some simulations of various version of the Klasonhorn. In simulations of the last two versions, RT2 and RT3, the part of the horn "under the cabinet" is excluded from the simulation. The reason given is that simulation without that last segment lines up better with known response measurements. I wonder why it would have worked in iteration RT1, but not in RT2 and RT3.

RT1

RT2

RT3

dimensions klason strange

i found this in an old dutch book

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 353
Variant

Hello Bill, nice to see you again. We "met" on the old Cornu forum back in the day.

Which of the versions would you scale up? It seems that the newer version of the RT1 (the old familiar Klasonhorn as was known in Europe from the Klinger loudspeakerbook) had the most extended and linear response. But, with your expertise, which one would you choose?

Hi Ivo,

As part of the scaling effort, I would try to use the space in the triangular foot to house the driver. Then bifurcate the passage from there into the body of the enclosure. A curved front panel, ala Ranger's Paragon, might contribute to the enclosures aesthetics as well.

Regards,

Bill

i found this in an old dutch book

Hello Sonomanie, thanks for that. I can read German, but have always wondered if I interpret Klinger's remarks correctly. Now I can check in my mother tongue. :)

The text says in the first lines that the driver is coupled to the horn in the same way as in a Klipsch horn. I would interpret that to mean that it's a frontloaded horn with a back chamber. It also says that the space below the cabinet is part of the horn expansion. OK, so far so good. But later on, the text says that if the enclosure is placed directly on the floor, it functions as a sealed box of 45 liters. Now, if it were a frontloaded horn, putting it directly on the floor would simply close the hornmouth and no sound would come out. I guess it is a backloaded horn after all. I read as much on a German forum, but could not really follow that part of the discussion. There is an updated version of this horn (still for 10" driver) that was updated to frontloaded horn (the RT1 simulated in the links I gave).

RT-3D Ceneterbashorn

Nice, I'm looking forward to se the RT2 12" version as well. ;)
Designed for a 10 inch speaker with a resonant frequency of approximately 30 Hz. e.g. Coral 10F-60 or JBL LE10 or the like. Hornets cap is an important part and extension of the horn. The horn must be able to deliver straight down to 20Hz and below this at higher input power. Appropriate sharing is active crossover separate basdriver 12db at about 70-100 Hz subdued level with the side systems I use two Coral Beta 8 Full Range Speaker topped each with a JBL 075-sharing is already at 4000 Hz. (drawings is in centimeter )
All 22 pieces:
on the list!

All the 22 pieces:
1 / 2st 125x60 cm
2 / 2st 121x30 cm (front & back)
3/1 PCS 31x30 cm
4 / 2p 60x30 cm
5 / 2p 47.5x30 cm
6 / 2p 4x30 cm
7/1 pcs 30x30 cm
8 / 2p 14x30 cm
9 / 2p 13.5x30 cm Phased *
10 / 2p 32.5x30 cm
11 / 2p 23x30 cm
12 / 2p 18x30 cm

13 / 1st 5x5x20 cm (base stick)
14 / 1st 33x20 cm (base)
15 / 1st 35x20 cm (base)

16 / 2p 2x2x30 cm (frame to our Chamber.)
17 / 2p 2x2x118 cm "
18 / 2p 5x5x52 cm (back bone).

19 / 2p 9x30 cm Phased * 45 gr ends.
20 / 2p 11x30 cm Phased *
21 / 2p 6x30 cm Phased * 45 gr ends.
22 / 2p 16X30 cm Phased *
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Designed for a 10 inch speaker with a resonant frequency of approximately 30 Hz. e.g. Coral 10F-60 or JBL LE10 or the like. Hornets cap is an important part and extension of the horn. The horn must be able to deliver straight down to 20Hz and below this at higher input power. Appropriate sharing is active crossover separate basdriver 12db at about 70-100 Hz subdued level with the side systems I use two Coral Beta 8 Full Range Speaker topped each with a JBL 075-sharing is already at 4000 Hz. (drawings is in centimeter )
All 22 pieces:
on the list!

Very nice build!

There where two Swedish iterations of the horns using 12" drivers one of similar size and one slightly smaller.

Yes,
Swedish magazine Radio & Television presented the RT-2 (big) and RT-3 (small) back in 1978. RT-1 (above) appeared in Radio &Television 1975. Originally RT-1 was called RT-Hornet but the name was retrospectively renamed to RT-1when the two new horns came out.

Yes , It sounds great upteted in 18MM MDF board , You can experiment with different attenuations and other elements, the baby is calculated for an element with Fs around 30Hz, below - Proposed is at 21 Hz so it may be appropriate to get up a little by filling up the back cover, and reduce the enclosure volume slightly larger frame might as well tougher damping. http://www.hifikit.se/images/4323/26w-4558t00.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.