Klason & Strange, folded basshorn, acient design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
mhtplsh said:
Looks interesting!
More models with different speaker size welcome!
Full construction details will be more better.

Hi mhtplsh,

If you mail me I can send the article containing two 12" variants. Written in Swedish but complete plans including measurements on the larger RT2 (done outdoors in mouth).

Hey all,

Interesting designs, aren't they? And what a .... challenge, reading in Swedish. But, with my related language and an online dictionary, I just manage.

3D models are being made. R2 is finished, R3 is still a plain box with nothing in it.

I am amazed by the R3. The elegant folding, with tilted panels, it's all very unusual. It so small, I can actually find a place where it fits.

Can this be placed next to a corner with one end? I would asymmetric boundary loading.

Rgdrz
Ivo

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Ivo,

I almost missed your post.
These horns and in particular the RT3 was very popular as diy project in Sweden at the time. And as you say the folding RT3 is very elegant. The larger RT2 with longer path and greater volume has more low end of course.

As for placement I think the smaller RT-3 should work fine placed next to a corner. The larger has split path/mouth at the very end formed by floor, back wall and box (triangle) so you will severely decrease mouth area if placed next to corner.

I’m eagerly awaiting your 3D models ;)

Hi Anders,

The reason I asked about corner placement, is that it reminds me of the Monolith horn by Bruce Edgar. You can find the article with detailed plans and descriptions about this basshorn at the download section of Volvotreter's website. Edgar said you could place it along a wall or in a corner. When placed in a corner, you should increase height to keep the mouthsize the same.

Now that I think about it more, the RT2 and RT3 are really quite similar to Edgar's Monolith, and also to Edgar's current Seismic horn subwoofer. They are just much smaller. This may mostly mean that they are tuned to a different environment, i.e. concrete and brick European homes with different roomgain compared to US homes. There are reports from Americans with Klipschorns that barely manage 45 Hz in their living room, while a Dutch audio friend had 25 Hz at -3 dB with the same horn...

I have found this advertisement of the frontloaded 10"version, with two pictures. This person has the horn placed on its side, in a corner. At least in one picture. It seems I was not the only one with this idea. http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-171-718.html

Considering my current living situation, the RT3 seems the better choice. Fortunately, I may be moving to a bigger house soon. :cool:

Here is a 3D image of the RT2. I have left out the bracing for clarity and have not yet put in the corner reflectors. The version partly visible in the background, is a closed and wood-coloured version, with a flatscreen TV on it. :D

Note that you are looking at the back side of the horn. The interior was more clearly visible from this angle.

RT2.gif

planet10 said:
Ivo,

ave you uploaded those plans to the warehouse?

dave

No. I might. However, due to some idiosyncracies of Sketchup, parts of these drawings are not accurate and the perfectionist in me doesn't like putting stuff out there that is not accurate. The RT2 and the earlier Klason are pretty accurate, though. There's some errors in the 12" cornerschmacks. I have better Sketchup skills now, I might be able to correct them now. The RT3 drawing looks nice, but is a dimensional mess at the moment...:xeye:

Empee said:
but will you be going for the 10" or the 12" version ?

12", for several reasons. One, I already have 12" drive units that probably work and I don't want to buy new right now. Two, when upgrading from 8" to 12", I began to appreciate the benefits of larger woofers. When upgrading from 12" to 15", I was grinning manically. It's not about loudness, it's a matter of ease and peace. If given the choice between a 10" and a 12" version, I will take 12", without blinking! Mind you, not saying that 10" won't sound nice or work well, it's a personal dogma of mine, loosely based on prior experiences with different enclosures.

Empee said:
ps.
are you going to the Robodock festival ?

Probably not. It's interesting, but not my scene and I have loads to do these coming weeks. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Bowed bass is really excellent, this horn gets timbre and feel just right. Drums are a little subtle. The air displacement is there and all that, but it's not the wild whack you can get with some other designs.

I am wondering whether it's lacking, or other speakers were over-emphasized in the 'kick region' that you love so much. It sounds a bit tame and gentle on my rock and reggae recordings, but the timpani in symphony recordings can knock me out of my listening seat. And sound natural in the process.

I guess the best review is that when I'm playing music, I'm hearing music. This is the first bass section of my system that didn't have a very dominant, degrading sound and influence on the rest.

I like it, it's staying in the system and I want to use some of the key features in future designs!

Another step towards realisation. These horns are large and take careful disguising to disappear in a living room. This is not just a matter of good finishing (veneer!), but also of finding a logical or not disturbing location.

This is a diagram of the use of an older variety. Note how the added cabinets are placed against the horn. I have read reports from German builders, that say it extends the horn in a way and that they were suprised at the improved response of the horn.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have taken these ideas and am thinking about applications for my own situation. These horns are about the size of my television/hifi rack. It could easily be placed in its place and bear the television. I could add some side cabinets for my equipment. In theory, this looks nice and improves response.

I made a Sketchup drawing of the RT3 in such a configuration. I have one of the RT2 as well, but it clearly is a bit large for the room visually.

RT3extended.gif

There are problems though, as I have a CRT which is sensitive to magnetic fields. I would need to shield the rearchamber of the horn, or shield the driver magnet. Or just get a plasma TV. However, my CRT is great and works fine, so I would rather keep it.

Also, the article recommends placing the horn at 1/3rd of the wall for best sound, not in the middle. It could sound weak, or boomy. Extending the horn and spreading the mouth might make it worse.

This project clearly needs some more planning... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.