Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Sonic Craft Offering DIY Parts, Wire & Cable, and Mod Service.

Old 21st August 2021, 10:56 PM   #1
Mrdrewk is offline Mrdrewk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default wiring for chassis XLR

I've built a Pass F5T and I'd like to wire up the two XLR female connectors incase I decide to use them in the future.

From what I've read about XLR, there's a bit of voodoo that takes place somewhere along the line (the difference of two wires get's thrown out) perhaps at the connectors?

I want to be sure I get the wiring correct for them, and didn't find much about wiring up the actual connectors vs new wires on youtube and the web.

I got a pair of Cardas CM F XLR
CM F XLR (Female XLR)

From the internal boards, I have a Left +, Left - and Right +, Right -.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png cm_f_xlr_connector.png (688.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png cm_f_xlr_main_transparent.png (660.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 21st August 2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Jeff Glowacki is offline Jeff Glowacki  United States
diyAudio Member

Your + goes to pin 2, - to pin 3, signal ground (same as RCA ground) would go to pin 1. The fourth pin is for chassis ground in the event that signal ground and chassis ground are different. Many times they are the same. This will help you with the pinout: XLR Pinout - Drawings & Colours - 3 pin & 5 pin XLR connectors
Old 21st August 2021, 11:28 PM   #3
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

AES48-2005 says XLR pin 1 should go to the chassis, which makes the chassis connection on the XLR connector handy. XLR pin 1 should also go to the ground reference of the system.

Tom
Old 11th October 2021, 12:59 PM   #4
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

tomchr, are you suggesting that someone should wire a lead from pin one over to the ground reference of the system??
if the cited code is adhered to that would be unnecessary, no?
Old 12th October 2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Whitigir is offline Whitigir
diyAudio Member

It doesn’t matter, the whole connector body is conductive. It is ground by itself once fit into the chassis. You can choose to wire up pin 1 or leave it out
  Reply to this post

wiring for chassis XLRHide this!Advertise here!