CRC power amp supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Then we would have to use expensive MOSFETS or a
MJL21193/4 setup.
Cheeep ! The 4 big diodes cost 5USD$.

This IS good to run the front end (small signal). I have also simulated AND
built with a separate PS here (cap multipier included).

The output stage is a different matter ,the big CRC is the most economical
and carefree setup for an amp that already does -90db for most of the audio band.

I also ran the Badger simulation , and it is different. The lack of any positive
current regulation makes it a little inferior, PSRR wise. Using the CRC drops most
of the audio spectrum under -90db PSRR ..... good enough for me.

OS

Last edited:
I didn't read cheep anywhere :)
Anyway: who hasn't got some leftover MOSFET or high-power transistor in the stash...!

I have built a couple of amps with very poor PSRR ( Nelsons ZV9 and some sziklai) and the use of capacitor multiplier made them go from loudly humming to dead-quiet and still with good firm bass response.

Just my to cents

I didn't read cheep anywhere :)
Anyway: who hasn't got some leftover MOSFET or high-power transistor in the stash...!

I have built a couple of amps with very poor PSRR ( Nelsons ZV9 and some sziklai) and the use of capacitor multiplier made them go from loudly humming to dead-quiet and still with good firm bass response.

Just my to cents

But that is Pass's amps. We have the "dreaded" NFB here!!:D No hum/noise ,
but at ungodly current demands .... we have a little crosstalk (ripple).

I have actually (in the real world) over-driven one channel , can't hear the other channel ...

OS

I have actually (in the real world) over-driven one channel , can't hear the other channel ...
That's awesome!

I'd like you to check this out:
secondary, BR, C, MBR1645||0.3R, C, C, C, C, C
secondary, BR, C, MBR1645||0.3R, C, C, C, C, C
AND plug this into it:
left channel v- cable, amp board, 10a1, 440u
left channel v+ cable, amp board, 10a1, 440u
right channel v- cable, amp board, 10a1, 440u
right channel v+ cable, amp board, 10a1, 440u

Works like CRCRC filter and dual mono separation but with only one transformer to buy. The capacitors for power supply can be 3300u or a smaller amount of 6800u. Yeah, this version doesn't need as much capacitance for some reason. I don't know why. But it is very budget friendly! Personally, I like the clarity, dynamics, epic bass slam and friendly tone, which doesn't seem to happen if you spend too much. :D

Caveat!!!!:
If you get an unfavorable combination of diode||resistor at the power supply, you'll get reverb. This happened to me with a combination of fast silicon (MR, MUR, FR, 0.5v) with 1 ohm resistor, and it was a little single rail amp. Probably nobody will do that. But, if you got accidentally reverb, then change something and it will quit doing that.
Fix:
I didn't like the lack of bass from CRC, so I bypassed the resistor with extremely efficient MBR Schottky and broke the windows (somewhat different than merely shaking the windows). Also, the stupid reverb problem was completely gone. And, the clarity was better for no reason. Perhaps the example illustrated above didn't need to be a CRC? Maybe the virtual dual mono isolator section (cable, 10a1, amp board, 440u) already got the job done? I don't know--the example above is what I'm actually using and didn't have the urge to change it--that thing was all so clear and pleasant I didn't realize I had it cranked up that loud until that awful noise from the windows. Anyway, this simple tech is fun, cheap and effective.
P.S. The example above has tested as more effective than simple power supply at negligible price difference; however, It has tested as Not as effective for imaging as Power K-Multi, but not as pricy either.

Last edited:
That is the "confusion" ?? It seems on the lesser parts of the current
present in the waveform the CRC is still active. Overall , just -3db reduced
PSRR at the highest currents that the amp demanded. So , CDC (cap/diode/cap)
is close in performance.

OS
The voltage drop still exists, so that doesn't confuse me.
I have a different confusion!
Of course, it would be different. :D
In the previous post's example, why is there almost double the headroom (as exhibited by the bass slam versus clarity)? That makes no sense considering that I've removed at least 1v per rail. So, that's my confusion. Bust the windows with LM1875's???? Yes, that's confusing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.