amp question basic rec

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, a bit of a newb here (build speakers though, new to amps), I am looking for a kit recomendation for using 4 bookshelves and a powered sub, looking to spend around 200 or cheaper

also a quick question: if I build a sweet amp and send the signal to my sub then route that to my speakers will that nullify the quality of the amp I built because it is being sent to the sub then the speakers? and if so is there an amp I can build that can send the signal to the 4 bookshelves and the sub at once (This would be great), thanks

Hi,
you need 5 amplifiers to drive 5 speakers.
You have to decide if you want 5 monoblocks, or 2 stereo amps and 1 monoblock, or a 3channel plus 1 stereo, or a 5channel amp.
The worst performance will probably come from an integrated 5channel commercial offering.

Once you have made this decision, you can decide how to split the audio signal. Summed mono, low pass filtered to the bass amp and high pass filtered stereo signal to the 4 bookshelf amplifiers.

dont know if this changes anything but my source is a computer so we are starting from a USB DAC

could someone recommend a kit or an amp that would do what andrew said, I am confused how I would set it all up using 5 amps to drive 5 speakers (and also cost less than 200$) would I be using one central hub that sends a signal to the individual amps and speakers

also should I get a powered sub or not? If I build an amp specially for the sub I wouldnt need one correct? If I did this where would the "crossover" occur (filtering of high freq.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.