Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Use fuses in the output

That will causes audible distorsions.

Sensitivity is normal... 750 milivolts will drive it to full undistorted power.... simulator shown 318...but i did not test real world..i have not load to this range of power.

Am I right you can't calculate the gain of your design?

Carefull not to miss the miller capacitor, those transistors goes to 100 Megahertz in the datasheet...but real world they go to 150 or more!

100MHz transition frequency doesn't mean that the device will works at 100MHz. Do you know what Ft means on datasheet?

Use two pairs...maybe more if you will open all volume using 4 ohms, with a continuous tone...a steady tone or some music very constant in level..different form the standard average leveled musics.

I would suggest you to do SOA calculations for 45° and 60° phase angles.

Interesting...when a "brick" enter a nice thread, broke the rithm

Interesting as a single bad apple can destroy all around.

I am still listening those amplifiers, and there are friends constructing...some of them local non internet friends...but i will produce picture to you to see those constructions as soon as possible.

Brick was nice...isnt...ahhhahahhha!

The brick is in my ignore list...as not kind enougth, and many friends complained...i am not guilty!!!...forum management is tollerant with those things...what can i do?

Graham is jumping 3 feet high remembering kind TLF9999 and other flying bricks.

I cannot read Mr. Brick, as i pushed the ignore button...but i am not missing that..for sure.

Let them put sheet..... sheet filled with garbage data in our nice forum.

regards,

Carlos

destroyer X said:
Interesting as a single bad apple can destroy all around.
----------
regards, Carlos

I agree with your feelings, Carlos :)
I can say me too was a bit surprised by tone in sixtek post.
I can not remember has has been in this topic before.
Now, I wont involve further.
This is not my business, so I like to keep my nose out of it.

When 2 party fight, it does not make it better #3 join the fight.
does it ;)

========================================

sixtek said:

Use fuses in the output?

That will causes audible distorsions.

How do you know this, sixtek?
I mean, when you heard this, last time,
how did it sound?

It is my opinion, maybe it is an imaginary thing.
We all know that these supposed sound degradation phenomenons
can many times be cause after the sound has passed the physical ears
of the listener.

Anyway,
I prefer fuses, which I think sound like nothing,
than to get my loved Loudspeakers Burnt and Destroyed.

Carlos is publishing an amplifier here.
He maybe do not want any builder, to need to buy new Speakers :)

Even if we can not have too much responsibility for what anyone build from our schematics.
This is something members of forum know.
What you build is Your Thing.

Regards, lineup

Sometimes happens damage in the amplifier..some short

circuit may happen...in special audiophiles alike me...old guys with damage vision, tweaking, use to produce shorts.

When this happens, one of the rails voltage goes to output.... and this means high current when using low impedance speakers.

Because of that, i have to use fuses in my output also...not only in the rails.

My fuses are hand made using thin wire, tested in advance to see how much current will melt it under environment normal temperature....this wire is soldered over some burned fuse...this way i have sure that the fuse unit is low in resistance, because the fuse wire is soldered over the fuse metal extremes, and fuse metalic parts are soldered over the board....or under the board ,if you prefer, when using the standard, old and traditional way to construct amplifiers.

Beeing an electronics Consultant Ritchie, it is normal your ideas...some standard amplifier, factory made, protected inside a case...not one tweaking and without melted solder dropping over the board...some screw falling down over the boad...a part of transistor lead cutted because too long to be used can fall down over the board and explode the whole thing too.

Inside this world, the audiophile world, despite many guys think it is a more precise world, with better schematics and better amplifiers, there are something less precise...the home do it yourself hand made construction that include a lot of possibilities of accidents.

I love to cook too Ritchie.... La cuisinne Française c'est ma preference!

Thank you Ritchie.

Thank you Lineup.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos what you are making is basically a DIY fuse just like what is inside a normal fuse. It's just as non-linear.

No you still don't need to use an output fuse.

The output short will draw high hurrent for a moment and blow the rail fuse which will cease the current. The voicecoil should be OK for this short duration, especially as the rail fuse rating should be the same as what you would use to 'protect' the speaker itself additionally anyway.

Re: Sometimes happens damage in the amplifier..some short

destroyer X said:

My fuses are hand made using thin wire,
tested in advance to see how much current will melt it under environment normal temperature
regards,Carlos
richie00boy said:
Carlos what you are making is basically a DIY fuse just like what is inside a normal fuse.
It's just as non-linear.

I have done such a fuse one time.
Using only a thin suitable wire piece.

But also Loudspeaker Cable is a wire ......
If something of very low resistance is a bit non-linear,
this means not much, if the TOTAL impedance is very much bigger.

Loudspeaker is at least ~4 Ohm and sometimes ~8 Ohm.

The influence of a part of The Total Load is proportional
to the impedance of this part, in relation to Total Impedance of load.

lineup

I agree with you Lineup. But there is still no need to use a speaker fuse, see my last. I don't see the point of using unecessary parts, in fact Carlos himself said the whole philosophy of this amp was to strip out unecessary parts.

It is essential to use rail fuses to protect the amp anyway so you might as well use them to help protect the speaker too. But in the supply line their non-linearity will be corrected somewhat by negative feedback of the amp output and the amp PSRR.

Enjoy listening to this amp happy knowing that your speakers are safe :) and that you have some extra spare rail fuses ;)

Constructors wanted!...amplifier already designed and tested need audiophiles

to construct, to compare and to test amplifier.

In this DO IT YOURSELF forum, there are hundreds of around the clock consultants and advisers.

There are thousands that can find errors, defects and possible improovements.

There are millions able to re-design the whole thing.

Also the "simulator people" can do a nice job, also my own simulator can do it.

I am needing, and searching the ones that will test...will construct, will listen, will compare.

To search for legs in sneaks, possible sneak oils i can do it by myself.

Help constructors, to avoid the thread turns a book of theories.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos I think if you can post a PCB layout for this amp it will encourage people a lot :)

And Carlos, I am not an electronics consultant by job, I work in systems engineering which is a little different. Although I am a qualified electronics engineer, and I fully understand the need to be aware of DIY build practices like you mentioned in your post back a few :) I have seen amp fires myself ;)

Will be a good idea to read the whole tread, this way you will find more informs and

The basic Dx amplifier pc board and layout.

The turbo version has more output transistors only, and as they are not installed in the board, you can have one pair or more pairs.

The modifications in resistance values will not make that board shown loose its value.

Well..all informs are here, posted, and i will be free to travel in vacations.

The amplifier is not to be designed or fixed...it was posted to be tried by constructors and evaluated using listening tests.

bye,.

Carlos

richie00boy said:
I agree with you Lineup.
But there is still no need to use a speaker fuse, see my last.
I don't see the point of using unecessary parts,
in fact Carlos himself said the whole philosophy of this amp was to strip out unecessary parts.

I do not use any fuse in output of amplifiers.
I could think of use a good Output RELAY, and some little circuit to trigger relay on/off.
But I do not think a proper fuse in output, will effect the sound in any way.

----------------------

I will now try to setup DX-Amp circuit in my MultiSim.
I will do like this:

1. Scroll upwards, until I come to latest posted schematic.
2. I will use: 2N5401, BCP53 BCP56(=BD139/140) and TIP35 / TIP36
3. I will use a VBE Multiplier and 0.1 Ohm Emitter resistors
4. I will probably use JFET current source for InputStage
5. I will post THD, AC Analysis and Fourier Analys

Questions:
I can see no Supply Voltage in schematic?
What is this default V+ V- supply for this?

What is the bias in output stage?
I cant see this from schema.

I guess that the input pair should have 1mA each.
Because of the 820 R resistor.

lineup
PS. Did you get my ZelScope email, Carlos? DS

I am travelling Lineup...urgent message sent to your FTP.

I have asked you to simulated the circuit Lineup, not to change it entirelly.

If you want to cooperate with this design, do the simulation the way it is...or, make your own and simulated and compare results.... i ensure you that real constructions and auditions may revert all conclusions the simulators will provide you.

I have an objective, to show forum guys that simple schematics can sound even better than modern ones.

If you decide to include CCS and all stuff, please, remove the name DX amplifier and include Lineup amplifier....this way, forum guys will have two options...and will be good to real constructors to make them both and compare.

Of course i already have noticed the use of CCS, the amplifier is simple because was made that way...XIMPLE....Xtraordinary and Xcheap.

I am travelling and time is very small...now early morning...i cannot be here those next days.

Thank you by the intention to simulated dear Lineup.

regards,

Carlos

Oh!...It is hard to find computers in this Airport...free ones!

Here you can see how much i apreciate Simulator results...you can see by image details as my smile....or, the more important feedback capacitor.

They cannot sound.... and you go to construct and you always find surprises, as parts are not so precise as the Mathematic formulas the simulator uses....real world is different....for instance, the Jet i will take to Amazon is very fast...near the sound barrier, i will be there soon....but....something happened with instruments...they are delayed 4 hours!.

This is real world timing...the rest is our imagination.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• justicer image.jpg
    justicer image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,966
You can solder a trace connector resistor in parallel with the output fuse.
I've done that with some class A headphone amp designs, after toasting several output stages.
Just adding the wire link in parallel lowers the distortion considerably.

Note : Please, do not put me on the sheet-list !
Carlos, you're in need of a shower.(me thinks he's showing +30C sweat with intent)

I am typping things without sense now...you cannot imagine the

woman...or the legs...in front of me...oh!...God exists!

Hollywood...i watched this in one movie...was a Japanese submarine trying to attack San Francisco when he saw the same i am watching now...Hollywood!!!

This girl...hummm.... perfume is around here!!!....makes me feel that i would be happy beeing a real pirate to stole her now!

I love transistors...but there are others interesting things in this life...bolts and nuts for instance!...ahahahhaha!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• a real pirate.jpg
    a real pirate.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,807
:)

Thanks for your message, Carlos
( Urgent message to Lineup )
With some comments to this Dx-Amp topic. And more.
Very interesting. I agree with some ideas.

As you wanted me to keep it private,
I can not and will not tell about it in public.

Regards as always :)
lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.