Post your Solid State pics here

Just pulled this out of the university E-waste. Fuses are still good and I see no leaky caps. The design was probably cool in 1968 but I'm not too keen on the capacitor in series with the speaker. Would it be heresy to pull the electronics out and swap them with something modern?

I have a DAC and LM3886 gainclone laying around which still need an enclosure. I can lasercut letter templates to put appropriate lettering for the new design on the faceplate and I have some black paint left over from my DIY speaker project. So this could be a nice evening project...

Nothing wrong with replacing the internals, but also nothing wrong with a DC blocking capacitor. Restore might be fun, but if you do go with replacing, LM3886? I've used them plenty. I don't like them for hi-fi.

Nothing wrong with replacing the internals, but also nothing wrong with a DC blocking capacitor. Restore might be fun, but if you do go with replacing, LM3886? I've used them plenty. I don't like them for hi-fi.

Oh **** yeah this is the solid state section, I shouldn't be throwing dirty words such as LM3886 around here. Well it is what I have laying on the shelf in dire need of a nice enclosure. Same with the DAC card. But the CV 40 is a single rail design and that cap does indeed block the inherent DC bias of that design. There will be some influence of that on the frequency behaviour but I'm mostly concerned about a cap going bad and murdering my speakers on the way out. Completely recapping the thing should not be too expensive of course...

:eek::eek::eek: OFC it would, restore it and enjoy in timeless elegance design, or send it to me I'll trade you 2U rack case for it ;);)

Haha I see too many rack mount things at work all day long to look at them at home.

Oh **** yeah this is the solid state section, I shouldn't be throwing dirty words such as LM3886 around here.

It's not really like that I don't think. The gainclone has its place, but that enclosure looks well suited to something maybe a bit more classic. Have a look at Red Circuits 5-7W class A. It's a gem. Simple; about as easy to put together as a gainclone (arguably easier), but potentially many times better (SNR, FR, THD).

I had a chat with a friend, I'll leave it all original except for probably upgrading the speaker terminals to something more modern and recapping it because even though they are good caps they are from 1968. Time to check the service manual and start ordering anything that might be off by now.

I'm still considering putting black lacquer on the veneer to make it fit better into my livingroom though ;)

Last edited:
“All-in-one” Mini class A amplifier

This is a mini push pull class A amplifier of about 9W rms / 8 ohms and including a musical server consisting of raspberry pi with a DAC and 2 x USB keys of 256GB to store more than 900 CDs in flac format. It also has an additional USB port for external USB key (as shown) to easily add music....Speaker DC protection circuit also included. The chassis is only 260mm x 300mm x 70mm and internally 160mm width). So it is portable and playable even where no internet connection is available since music is stored locally and the pi provides a hot spot So I can select music from my phone or iPad. The only thing missing is some small speakers...

Fab

Attachments

• D6AAEE17-75DB-4B22-A38E-747E1F83D474.jpg
    D6AAEE17-75DB-4B22-A38E-747E1F83D474.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 9F3174EA-818C-4A73-9E7B-1DC800F1457D.jpg
    9F3174EA-818C-4A73-9E7B-1DC800F1457D.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 0CDCD0BC-F38D-418E-809F-1CDFED38E836.jpg
    0CDCD0BC-F38D-418E-809F-1CDFED38E836.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 9D57BBBD-D2FD-4ECD-987A-4FE5184E9DD9.jpg
    9D57BBBD-D2FD-4ECD-987A-4FE5184E9DD9.jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
“All-in-one” Mini class A amplifier

Thank you Vunce and Zman01!
The heart of this combo is an USSA3 amplifier pcb but In prototype version before the production pcb. I had these 2 mounted pcbs sitting on a shelf for years so I wanted to find a use of them. When you listen to the sound coming from that tiny amplifier you can not believe your ears....:p even for my 87dB 3 ohms min speakers...

Unfortunately building speakers is not my forte....:rolleyes:

Fab

Last edited:
Wow fab! That looks fantastic! It is making me thing about building a mini amp for the kitchen. Maybe I will look into one of your ussa pcbs.

My adventure in diy amps started off with the honey badger, I already posted pics of the Denon badger, that was my second, and went very smoothly. My first badger struggled with one board. I did resolve the issue, and completed the rest of the project steps tonight. I like to recycle stuff because I am a cheapskate and a hoarder, and I had a nice t3 tape player that needed belts. 30 minutes into that job and I was like, "$&#& that!" And decided the kids could take it apart and play with it. But the meters were cool and looked nice, and worked. So I pulled them and set them aside. I refinished the arcam faceplate, filled and sanded all the holes, and painted it a very dark metallic grey. The meters were a PERFECT fit. Also got the power led working. Now all project ideas I was hoping for on this one are done. Meters work, thd over light works, backlights set up, and closed up, back in the lineup. And yes, I did clean up the wiring, birds nest is gone, everything is nice and short and properly stowed away. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_215828.jpg
    IMG_20200917_215828.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,582
  • IMG_20200917_212557.jpg
    IMG_20200917_212557.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,583
  • IMG_20200913_180130.jpg
    IMG_20200913_180130.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_20200801_012600.jpg
    IMG_20200801_012600.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,615
Thanks Summitp!
Note that actual production USSA3 pcb are too tall for this small chassis. My prototype USSA3 board was using a reworked F5 pcb...
I wanted to demonstrate that even an all-in-one class A amp with moderate power can be a small size too where space is an issue or for easy transport.

You have done quite a nice job on your recycled amp too.

Fab

This is a mini push pull class A amplifier of about 9W rms / 8 ohms and including a musical server consisting of raspberry pi with a DAC and 2 x USB keys of 256GB to store more than 900 CDs in flac format. It also has an additional USB port for external USB key (as shown) to easily add music....Speaker DC protection circuit also included. The chassis is only 260mm x 300mm x 70mm and internally 160mm width). So it is portable and playable even where no internet connection is available since music is stored locally and the pi provides a hot spot So I can select music from my phone or iPad. The only thing missing is some small speakers...

Fab

Lovely work Fab - you should post more details. I am also thinking about using USSA at very low wattage when matched with some smaller super efficient speakers for nearfield listening.

Hi stretchneck
Thanks!
This is a pictures thread....so I try to avoid putting too much technical details...:rolleyes:

I can post a dedicated thread - if need be - but it is mainly the small size of this integrated Class A all-in-one amp that is the main feature.

If you have specific questions you can send me messages too. Finally if you can read French or use a translator see this other forum thread : Mini Ampli Class A avec serveur musical

Fab

Last edited: