Post your Solid State pics here

Hi zman,

well, I have an anodized cover laser'd and ready to go but it also crossed my mind to put a transparent cover as inspired by Mrcloc.
I am considering a solid slab of crystal glass with ground edges, altho I have to get creative how to mount it. Perhaps in this case I should consider to put LED lighting inside as well. :D

Hi mindutis ,

I'm glad you guys like it. Actually I did not spend this much time with the PCB design, most the time got wasted waiting for the PCB's to show up from the manufacturer as I did not design all PCB's at once.

troystg,
I build this amp from scratch, it is effectively a clone / replica of the legendary Technics SE-A7 amplifier. This is another -Tribute- to the old Technics Engineers who deserve recognition. With the exception of replacing the electro mechanical output relay with a solid state, I did not make any modifications to the amplifier circuit. Altho I was unable to replicate the original wire mess, I'd say it still turned out to be OK'ish. :D I am quite pleased with it. As expected, this thing sounds amazing, as ballsy and crisp as it bigger and more powerful brother the SE-A5 below. I calibrated my pain threshold to be at about the 20W mark as indicated by the sexy SE-A5 meters. The A7 Tribute effortlessly matches my pain level while maintaining the crisp, brilliant, crystal clear yet massive sound with a wonderful sound stage, openness and stereo image. Altho I have no subwoofer, things were on the move inside various cabinets throughout my house. Fortunately no china suffered damage and my neighbors don't mind the party....
And so the A7 Tribute exhibits not the slightest hint of getting strained in any way. (I mean how could it at just 20W RMS demand) The heatsinks remain remarkably cool and measured barely 32 degree C after a whole day of listening at unreasonably elevated volume level. :D Most of the heat I suspect came of the SONY pre-amp below anyway. This thing operates quite hot for my taste for a pre-amp at least. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the outcome and that I managed to preserve this sleeper and hidden gem with modern up to date components and technologies. This thing is going to serve me well in my man cave as in any man cave or crawl space.

I like the SONY 1000ESD, works very well. I also have the SONY 2000ESD (parked in the basement) as the 2000ESD has design problems with relais in the signal path. It is noisy, so for now it is punished in the basement with well deserved neglect.:D

Jean Hiraga Class A Super 30W Monoblocks

finally, finished the work on fascia for my Monoblocks and Passive Pre-Amp

3.jpg

Som,

Nice set you got there! How do they sound in your system.

It would also be nice to know what speakers and source you are using with monoblocks and passive pre.

Hi Zman,
Thanks! I use laptop(usb)/Android TV (optical out) as source, smsl m8 DAC, passive pre, Hiraga monoblocks, Alpair 10.3M drivers in a bass reflex stand mount design..

@kct ,
Thanks and nope, it's not a complete wooden casing.. it's just the fascia.. each steel chassis with internals weighs around 18kgs . There is an auto cut off sensor built into the soft start board for temperatures above 75 degrees.

Adding a link for the video recording, not sure how well the phone has picked up the sound.. YouTube

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:
Som,

Thanks for sharing details of your setup and also taking the trouble of uploading the video.

Sounds like a good match with the Alpair drivers; the cabinet with slotted port reminds of the Planet10 Classic Golden Ratio design.

Nice setup you got there playing nice music - enjoy! :)
Thanks zman,
Indeed speakers are based on Planet10 Classic Golden Ratio design as available on frugal-phile.com :)