201.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • vu2..jpg
    vu2..jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,089
  • vu1..jpg
    vu1..jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1,091
Wiring SSR

I found the source of the distortion in that protection system. It came from the control transformer being mounted directly over the mosfets and optocoupler. The NS series boards with on board mosfet relays measure excellent.

Jeff, Chris and Borys

Interesting points, I have the Mosfet SSR on the speaker post, but the control board has the xfmr/PS mounted on it. I haven't spun anything yet, I may change this and move power supply xfmr, soft start relays to separate board, maybe?

MI

Attachments

• SSR.jpg
    SSR.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,036
  • ctrl.jpg
    ctrl.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 985
Hey guys/gals! So get this, one of my friends does what he calls dumpster diving on weekends, but he isn't actually jumping in a dumpster. Anyway, he asked me if a Sansui AU-517 is worth money and I told him yes and don't plug it in (in case of serious damage inside already). Well once I got it home and examined it thoroughly including breaking down the chassis to the bare bones. I could only come up with a few locations that were even suspect, much less an ACTUAL problem. So I decided hell, I'll turn it on and test it.

To my amazement the thing just worked. This was sitting outside next to a trash compactor that was full and waiting for the garbage truck before being put in and my friend found it before luckily. He doesn't have any electrical knowledge nor did he want an amplifier from 1978, but I knew damn well it was worth $100 just in parts alone. Now I am considered things to upgrade besides the suspect capacitors where you see corrosion at the base of the cap or bulging caps.

How long could these huge Nichicon CEW 12,000 uF / 63V last? Does the aging of capacitors still occur if the capacitors are rarely or never used? I can understand that the dielectric would break down with time alone, but I think it would go much longer if rarely used in comparison to a daily usage capacitor. The application should also play a role in this, depending on how big of a role the capacitor plays, comparing PSU circuits to audio ones should be much different, right? I did just get a Cornell Dubilier BF-50 Capacitor Analyzer (tube based), so I guess I could just pull them and check.

If interested you can see more pictures and articles on my site with one published review at Hallman Labs

Pretty soon I will have an ES9038Pro + Burson Audio vs. Orange Discrete Op-amps review. Hopefully before the new year!

Attachments

• upload0jpgsm.jpg
    upload0jpgsm.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 426
  • upload0sm.jpg
    upload0sm.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 361
  • upload1sm.jpg
    upload1sm.jpg
    847.2 KB · Views: 392
  • upload2sm.jpg
    upload2sm.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 306
  • upload3sm.jpg
    upload3sm.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 277
  • upload5sm.jpg
    upload5sm.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 248
  • upload4sm.jpg
    upload4sm.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ZoSoNCSU,
I find that the large power supply capacitors are rarely bad. As long as no seals are ruptured there is a good chance those are good. Have a look at the ripple with your scope. If the sawtooth has a pronounced "pip" on the leading edge, they are going. If not, they are perfectly fine. No need to replace them.

-Chris