Post your Solid State pics here

Attachments

• IMG_20150104_142420_027.jpg
    IMG_20150104_142420_027.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 1,044
Of course I see the brackets and the thick slap of aluminum but that is not a heatsink. It will disperse some heat but has very little surface area without any fins. The amp must run at a very low bias if that is sufficient IMO.

The whole surface of the amp will act as heat sink (front, back, sides). There's quite a bit of area there.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It will be interesting to hear from Marra just how hot that case gets.

Not hot at all in fact barely warm even after several hours of listening at reasonable sound levels.The bias level is set very low.
This is my first time building this type of amp being a big fan of Nelson Pass designs but this amp especially with the regulation of the front end supply is one damn good amp.The regulators lift it to the top level SQ wise.
More info here although mine was a scratch build not from assembled boards.

NCC200 Power Amplifiers

Not hot at all in fact barely warm even after several hours of listening at reasonable sound levels.The bias level is set very low.
This is my first time building this type of amp being a big fan of Nelson Pass designs but this amp especially with the regulation of the front end supply is one damn good amp.The regulators lift it to the top level SQ wise.
More info here although mine was a scratch build not from assembled boards.

NCC200 Power Amplifiers
Well done, and thanks for sharing the link to Avondale Audio about the NCC200. Looks like another amp on horizon (as if I need anymore!). :) Can you share more about the 'regulation of the front-end' you speak of. Was that homebrew also? Thanks.

Of course I see the brackets and the thick slap of aluminum but that is not a heatsink. It will disperse some heat but has very little surface area without any fins. The amp must run at a very low bias if that is sufficient IMO.
You're right. Not a traditional finned HS. But there's a lot of surface area there with all the uber-thick aluminum. So there's nothing stopping the use of the entire case as the HS. Except maybe in extremely high-power situations. -Rick

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well done, and thanks for sharing the link to Avondale Audio about the NCC200. Looks like another amp on horizon (as if I need anymore!). :) Can you share more about the 'regulation of the front-end' you speak of. Was that homebrew also? Thanks.

The front end reg is again an Avondale design known as the VBE. A group buy was done over on pfm recently and there are build threads by a few guys over there.
Regarding the pcb's you would have to speak to Les Wostenholme the owner of Avondale to see if bare boards are available. I have no connection with Avondale other than as a Very satisfied customer.

First of four amps - (" hungry sub" project).

The first of my EF3 (output stage) creations passed it's tests !

(attachment 1) -- Started with just a driver test .
Set those C3263/A1294 drivers to 1.2V across emitters.

(attachment 2) I stuffed those beautiful Sanken 2SA1295/2SC3264 's in there.
One hell of a pair (3 pair) of devices. Biased it up to 500ma per device for
laughs :D . Heatsink really warmed up ! Trafo loaded down 5V , even. :eek:

Backed it off to 100ma , either setting ... bias stayed within .5mv (3ma deviation).

(attachment 3) -- Ran the finished amp into my loads , offset (.3mv) and bias (21mv -.22R).

First build experience with the Sanken MT-200's - highly recommended !!!
SOA is more than enough for 4R - 400W @ 60V rails.
More to come - believe me.
OS

Attachments

• just drivers.jpg
    just drivers.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 966
  • full sanken.jpg
    full sanken.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 931
  • full sanken all.jpg
    full sanken all.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Sir,

It looks great will you please share its schematic and pcb Thanks.

:D http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/248105-slewmaster-cfa-vs-vfa-rumble.html

Posts are listed - those were the "slewmonster 5P output stage" and
the "wolverine" input stage (small PCB).
Toner artwork , schematic in those posts (zip files).
Design was customized for subwoofer duty - no cap multipliers/ MT-200's.
"wolverine" was over- compensated with a lower input filter Fc/big input cap for
20-100HZ operation.

OS